Bad Experience with Purely Poultry

mbarros2003

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 21, 2014
Geneva, Florida
I purchased 8 Light Brahmas and 7 Jersey Giants from Purely Poultry. I received next day shipping which was great. I was so excited to receive my birds. They all arrived alive, but many of them seemed sickly. I thought perhaps it was just that they were babies and were tired and they would sleep a lot when they first arrived. One of the light Brahmas was missing an eye and the colors didn't coincide with what a light brahma is supposed to look like. I immediately placed them in their brooder with the correct light temperature, water, and food. The next morning 4 light Brahmas were dead. I contacted them and they issued me a refund for the four birds. The second day the rest of my light Brahmas died and so did a Jersey Giant. I was devastated. Now I only have 6 Jersey Giants left, but I am questioning the breed. I have a feeling I was given Black Australops and not Giants. One of the 6 looks completely different than the others and their feet are Black and a whitish pink skin color than a black leg and yellow foot that Jersey Giants are known form. Although the shipping was fast and they refunded my money for the first birds that died the first 24 hours, I will never purchase from them again. They do not have good quality birds and I am questioning if they sent me what they really said they did. We shall see when they grow up.

Call and ask for a refund on the birds that died and get your Giants electrolytes/vitamins and minerals immediately. Medicated chick feed, too. Try ordering from Ideal Poultry next time. They are much better.

Thanks for the advise. So far my remaining birds look ok, but I have a feeling I didn't get what I asked for. They only refunded me for the first 4 birds that died the first 24 hours.

Maybe your order was mixed up with someone else's order. Or maybe Fed Ex mixed the slips and then just stuck them wherever. When I ordered from Purely poultry, I ordered 25 and they sent 29. One was spraddle legged, one was weak to begin with and I think the last got squished (those three died). I still ended up with one more than I had ordered and they were all the right breeds I had ordered. Purely poultry was great for me. I think Fed Ex mixed the orders up. :idunno There is also a possibility of Purely not receiving the order correctly. :/

Purely Poultry is a middle man and passes your order on to one of the hatcheries they do business with. The zip code mailed from which is in the top right hand corner of the label with the tracking number( usually placed on the side of the box) is where the birds came from. If they came from Meyer the zip code is 44866 or similar. Purely Poultry's zip is 54940.

I wish I had seen this and a few other posts a few weeks ago. I read some posts from 2009 and they were all rave reviews for Purely Poultry, but I am seeing that as the years go on the reviews start sounding more and more like this one.
sad.png
I ordered three started Araucana pullets from Purely Poultry. Once I got the email that the shipping process had started I was a little nervous for these little girls as they were being shipped from California ..... I live in Michigan! The weather, thankfully, had not gotten terribly hot or humid yet but still seemed a long way. They would be arriving two days after shipping. I got a call from the post office that they had arrived at around noon and I picked them up by 4:30, happy to know they were in a quiet room with air conditioning. I got them home, opened the box with reserved anticipation (I did not hear much moving around in the box) and was horrified to see one live chicken standing on top of two dead ones! There was hay in the bottom of the box with a very small ice pack in a sandwich sized ziploc bag. There were NO feces in the box which makes be wonder how long the two dead birds were even alive and when the live girls last meal was. The one that lived was and is very lively so perhaps the other two were sickly to begin with? I am not convinced they didn't freak out in the box .... is it possible for a chicken to break it's own neck jumping around in the box? My heart was broken for the ones that died as well as my one lonely girl that is in quarantine. I can't wait for her to be old enough to be incorporated with my other three adults. I know she has to be bored!

I can absolutely guarantee I will never be shipping chickens again.

Thank you for the feedback! We want you to know that Purely Poultry is a small, family owned business and we value all of the critiques and reviews that have been presented here. Over the last few years we have painstakingly gathered and developed a team of true poultry enthusiasts in the hopes of providing unparalleled service, passion, and knowledge to our customers. We recognize that growth can be painful, so we have carefully incorporated the feedback we've received from customers like you to offer the best possible quality and service. We work with a nationwide network of breeders to provide the wide selection of birds that we offer. We've expanded our guarantees to include a 100% sexing guarantee, and an alive and well guarantee that covers chicks and birds for the first 48 hours after arrival.

When you call or email Purely Poultry, you will be interacting with one of our 7 customer service representatives who have a combined total of 70 years of poultry experience. We certainly hope that we have the opportunity to speak with you, as there is nothing we love talking about more than poultry!

~Tyler, Terri, Meghan, Cass, Jodi, Elise and Zach.

Dear I am so sorry!!! I am NOT familiar with Purely Poultry, BUT I do wish MANY hatcheries would be forthcoming with HONEST info. I am NOT saying Purely Poultry was NOT, I AM saying, I know for a fact at least 4 MAJOR hatcheries drop ship from one very close to my home. The bantam breeds are identical as are many other birds!!! This IS NKT coincidental as one breed I want is very rare and in looking to find it, I found this out. Point is, I wish these hatcheries would say they do this. I placed a 600+ order from a place. The place is NOT a hatchery I later found out. While they were VERY courteous and polite, I was VERY disappointed with the quality of the chicks I got. I do NOT expect show quality or even breeder quality BUT I do expect proper combs for the breed I order. I also find it ridiculous that a 600+ order had no extras!! Reason I was upset about this, I did not want a credit for my next order... I do not want to order another 30 chicks to get the ones I want. I just hogged your thread, Honey. Not my intention. Communicating the hurt and sadness you must feel is not something anyone can do;(;( I am so so sorry!!! I hope you have a better experience. Your. Hooves are really nice ones;) They are BOTH really nice chicken breeds;);) Good Luck my Dear!

Back
Top Bottom