BAD eye...Can anyone tell me what this is and/or how to treat it

I currently have a roo with fowl pox. It's an ugly sight. his eye started out looking like your hens and then it progressed to the eye being stuck shut and lots of oozy yellow stuff, blisters, and just an aweful looking mess all over his comb, wattle and eyes. We have to feed him water from a syringe and I also am giving him cod liver oil and using neosporin on his eyes. We are on about day 6 now and one eye is looking less yucky (still closed) the other eye is still really bad. I can't believe how aweful this fowl pox can get. I know a lot of people would have culled or had this roo put down....but he is our pet and we have to do what we can for him.

Goodluck with your hen and keep us updated.

Pox is not a reason to cull. Most birds will recover and then be immune. It does not pass from bird to bird unless there is physical contact (which can include sharing mites/lice or mosquitos); since physical contact can spread the virus, I do separate sick birds.

There are several related pox viruses; some are more virulent than others. However, the disease is not serious unless it gets to the bird's mucous membranes, specifically the nasal and esophageal passages, which can prevent the bird from breathing or eating. If it is in the eye (as compared with on the outer portion of the eyelid) it is in the mucous membrane, and you need to watch closely to make sure it does not migrate to the sinuses/trachea or mouth/throat. Swab with listerine if it does.

I didn't think it was a reason to cull either but one of the members that responded to my post told me that it was the best (maybe easiest) thing to do. Since he is a pet roo it's just not an option for me. I am not sure if my roo would make it without me hand feeding and watering him. He has a pretty bad case of it. He can't see and doesn't seem to eat or drink from the bowls (at least when I am there). his eyes are completely stuck shut from the outter eyelids being swollen, crusty, etc. He doesn't have anything in his mouth/respiratory system so that is at least good.

If anyone wants me to post a pic of him, let me know. It's pretty nasty looking.

If it were my bird I would apply warm wet compresses to see if it would loosen the scabs over his eyes so that he can see. It may bleed a little, so you may need to gradually loosen them over a day or three. Iodine is usually recommended for drying out the scabs, but I am not sure how that would affect him if some got into his eyes. You might try painting it on with just a tiny bit on a qtip and see if that helps.

his eyes aren't exactly scabbed over. it's more like swollen shut or something. it's very aweful and strange looking. we tried a warm compress and neosporin but nothing seems to get the eyes open. I am hoping that in a few days they will come open by themselves. that is what I'm hearing some people say that have been through this. i'm trying to stay hopeful.

How is your hen doing today? does she have more blisters and yucky stuff or is she about the same? it took my roo about a week to get really bad. I know some don't get as bad as others, so hopefully your hen won't be as bad as my poor black orphington roo.

my leghorns have had the fowl pox 1 little hen still does we have been battling this for about a month now. the little hen got them in her eyes one eye is now open and the other is opening but I believe she has lost that eye it is solid white with yellow infection in it. I put her on duramiacyn to help fight the infection she is not laying now so I am not worried about the eggs when she first swelled up with them she could not see at all dd hand fed her 2-3 times a day she knew where her water was even though she could not see. now she is getting around pretty good with just one eye. she can eat by herself and drink her water by herself now. I think that the ones on her eyes had turned into wet pox not really sure. oh we also use tripple antibiotic ointment on her eye along with the duramiacyn.

How is your hen doing today? does she have more blisters and yucky stuff or is she about the same? it took my roo about a week to get really bad. I know some don't get as bad as others, so hopefully your hen won't be as bad as my poor black orphington roo.

Her eye is scabbed over and bledding so it is safe to say it is worse which Im hoping means it will soon be on its way to healing. We cleaned it up again, it looks bad but I think her eye under the lid is ok. Her other eye is healthy so I am very grateful that she can at least see. Its been just over a week for us. Although chickabator says she has been fighting this for over a month? hummm guess we are not there yet? I did have a thought and am wondering if her eggs are ok to eat? Anyone know? When we realised it wasnt infected we stopped using the triple antibiotic... but I am thinking we should start again. Im not sure, I just dont want to mess with it to much and make it worse... but Im not sure.
I will try to take another picture tomorrow and post it... I have to say I am curious as to what your chickens look like? Im wondering if they look the same... so if you would like to post pics I wouldnt mind.​

1 little hen still does we have been battling this for about a month now. the little hen got them in her eyes one eye is now open and the other is opening but I believe she has lost that eye it is solid white with yellow infection in it.

Im so sorry to hear that poor girl! I hope you are able to treat it and she gets the use of that eye back. Our girl has had the use of only 1 eye for a while now and she has been acting basically normal, except that she is now easier to catch because she doesnt always see us coming.
big_smile.png
Hope your hen feels better soon!​

we still have her seperated because we are afraid the others will peck it and it is easier to catcher her to doctor the eye. her comb still has a few spots but is healing up real good now. I am just glad she has one eye she can still see out of.

Back
Top Bottom