Bad Eye Injury

Just wanted to update. I did end up using the terramycin until her eye was fully healed. The tissue continued to get smaller until I could no longer see it, and the swelling went down over time.
This is her today.
View attachment 3595143

It was lucky that the damage turned out to not include the eye itself. It appeared worse to me when I first saw it, but I am glad that it turned out to be less severe than originally thought. She has made a full recovery. Thank you @Eggcessive for your advice
This is helpful info! Can I ask if her balance or movements were compromised while she was healing?
I have a hen that sustained more than one injury from a predator. She’s seen a vet and has meds for the other wounds and he said her eye should heal ok. But I’m not sure he was able to witness that when she tries to get a piece of food, she misses it almost every time. She’s handling liquids just fine so I’ve been getting food into her that way. And she can rotate, stand up, sit down and walk around ok.
Would love to know if yours had any of the same issues. 🙏

This is helpful info! Can I ask if her balance or movements were compromised while she was healing?
I have a hen that sustained more than one injury from a predator. She’s seen a vet and has meds for the other wounds and he said her eye should heal ok. But I’m not sure he was able to witness that when she tries to get a piece of food, she misses it almost every time. She’s handling liquids just fine so I’ve been getting food into her that way. And she can rotate, stand up, sit down and walk around ok.
Would love to know if yours had any of the same issues. 🙏
Hi, sorry for the delayed reply. She did not have any balance issues or trouble eating/drinking.
But it sounds like your hen had more severe trauma, so it would make sense that she is experiencing more issues.
Hopefully over time her symptoms will improve with treatment/supportive care.

Just wanted to update. I did end up using the terramycin until her eye was fully healed. The tissue continued to get smaller until I could no longer see it, and the swelling went down over time.
This is her today.
View attachment 3595143

It was lucky that the damage turned out to not include the eye itself. It appeared worse to me when I first saw it, but I am glad that it turned out to be less severe than originally thought. She has made a full recovery. Thank you @Eggcessive for your advice
I'm dealing with a similar thing from a rooster fight over a hen.. looked just as bad as this .. I've given some doxy , been rinsing with sterile saline, applied some coconut oil since it has so many healing properties. the eye is tearing.. it's been two days.
I'll pick up the terramycin at tractor supply tonight, hopefulky they have it.

how long did it take to heal?

i have him in my garage on some straw bales with his hen for moral support :)

I'm dealing with a similar thing from a rooster fight over a hen.. looked just as bad as this .. I've given some doxy , been rinsing with sterile saline, applied some coconut oil since it has so many healing properties. the eye is tearing.. it's been two days.
I'll pick up the terramycin at tractor supply tonight, hopefulky they have it.

how long did it take to heal?

i have him in my garage on some straw bales with his hen for moral support :)
It took about 2 weeks for the tissue to disappear back underneath the eyelid. She had a little swellling around the eye area for another week or two after that.
I think the terramycin helped a lot, so definitely get some if you can find it. I got mine from Amazon if they don't have it at any of your local stores

Back
Top Bottom