Bad Feed?

I normally feed Nutrena or Purina Flock Raiser. Due to poor rotation of feeds locally sometimes I get what brand is freshest.

I had been feeding Nutrena All Flock for the last several months. When I bought feed in December it was sold out so I got Dumor.
I've been through about 75 lbs of it now, a little over a month. I've seen no difference in laying.

I have 4 pullets laying now. One started laying since the Dumor feed change. The other 3 are still laying the same 5-6 eggs per week.

I also have hens 3-10 years old. Some no longer lay at all. The others usually start around February.

I'm not seeing a problem with Dumor.

This page gives great explanations for the many reasons a hen might not lay seasonally fall/winter.
https://cokerfeedmill.com/why-did-the-chicken-stop-laying-the-egg-too-busy-crossing-the-road/

How many birds do you have and how many eggs are you getting?
I've been getting between 6 and 8 eggs a day from 11 laying pullets/hens. I have a total of 18 chickens. One is a rooster. Four are almost 5 years old, so they are past their prime laying years - and one of those older ladies has never laid regularly. The two Silkies are broody (surprise, surprise). I also have 8 ducks. Four are laying. Of course, my Welshie has hormone implants to stop her from laying. Two of my ducks are quite old (Jill is 9 and Julep is 6), so I don't expect many eggs from them. My 3 geese aren't laying at all because one is a gander and because it isn't yet breeding season.

There was the usual slow down in early fall - like late Sept or early Oct - as molting began and days shortened. I only got 2 or 3 a day (because Leghorns don't seem to stop for anything, and my Silkies weren't broody for a few weeks there). But, like every year, it picked back up. It's been unusually wet this year (we've gotten about 30 inches of rain this season!). I'm actually rather surprised they are laying as much as they are. They aren't usually this productive in this weather.

Last edited:
I use Nature Wise and my hens are barely laying but its just like every other winter I've had with chickens so I am inclined to think there is no conspiracy. I think people got into chickens during covid without realizing that chickens have laying seasons and cycles and if your birds had a hard molt in the fall (usually in the second year this happens) then the reduced day light means they won't lay again until spring and that is perfectly normal. I imagine this conspiracy theory started with someone who didn't understand that and people new to chickens kept the ball rolling. I wouldn't out too much stock in it and I wear a tin foil hat most of the time lol
I’ve heard that suggestion many times now, and it may be true for some, but not for all the owners complaining as the ones I heard were veteran chicken owners with decades of experience not newbies.
For those who changed feed and saw production increase …well that’s all they need to know.
There’s a lot of talk of labels (and a lot of respectable homework) but all of that falls apart if a company decides to change feed but not the label.
For those who are having no problems or their laying is normal for the season and age of their birds, it would be foolish to change feeds. No one has a problem till they have a problem. Then if they note a change, they can troubleshoot for themselves.

For those who changed feed and saw production increase …well that’s all they need to know.
There’s a lot of talk of labels (and a lot of respectable homework) but all of that falls apart if a company decides to change feed but not the label.
But if the feed changed and the label did not, an analysis of the feed would show the difference. And if the feed does not match the label, that typically calls for a recall, and it definitely would answer the question of WHAT changed.

If the feed changed and the label did not, that would still leave the question of why (error at the feed mill, or deliberate change.) But at least everyone would know which way to look next.

I'm hearing about Tractor Supply Producer's Pride feed causing hens to stop laying, then they go on about the World Economic Forum and them trying to starve us, etc. I use Dumor layer pellets, which is Purina, I thought. So it should be okay? Yes, I have 3 older hens who haven't laid all winter and I have 4 who are laying most every day, so I don't see it has impacted me. Anyone hearing this or is it just an internet hoax? I, personally, do not use social media and what I get is from friends who know I keep chickens, so I don't know if it's real or if it's some tiktokker wanting views. Anyone heard this?

But if the feed changed and the label did not, an analysis of the feed would show the difference. And if the feed does not match the label, that typically calls for a recall, and it definitely would answer the question of WHAT changed.

If the feed changed and the label did not, that would still leave the question of why (error at the feed mill, or deliberate change.) But at least everyone would know which way to look next.

Who does the analysis? A three letter agency?
May not get answers that way. Although it would be good if an independent lab could check feed from someone who noticed a problem but saw it change after switching feeds. But as some else pointed out, most here have no time or money for that.

I did read the article, I heard it from others and although i’m not in social media I heard from those who are, I have not experienced and problems with laying practice from our hens,
I feed Dumore scratch and it’s labeled as 7 grain however it’s cracked corn and about 1% other grains. That is not honest makes me wonder about the quality of grading the protein.
It is common for the hens to cut back on production when the days get shorter and darker.

May not get answers that way. Although it would be good if an independent lab could check feed from someone who noticed a problem but saw it change after switching feeds. But as some else pointed out, most here have no time or money for that.
Those 3 letter agencies worry me especially when Kroger is introducing Carbon Neutral Eggs… We can thank Bill Gates for this!!!
There’s is no mention of what they plan on feeding the carbon neutral chickens or how the eggs will be produced 🙃🐣and no mention on cost….

Maybe yes. For some of them, it is their job to make sure that labels match what is in the bag. And if they do find a problem, I think we can be sure it really was a problem!

Yes, the time/money is a consideration.
But finding other sources of feed takes time too, and sometimes costs more money. So it might still be worth it for some people.

Someone could even try calling the company that made the feed, telling them the hens quit laying but resumed after a feed change, and asking if the company wants a sample of that bag to test. If the company does not test, or finds nothing, we are right where we were before. But if the company does test, and does find a problem, then they can fix it. (If the company did not do this on purpose, they actually might be interested in testing, because they would want to catch any errors. Errors are not good business for any company!)

Back
Top Bottom