Bad feed???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by trinacliff, Dec 5, 2010.

1. trinacliff

trinacliff Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Hi all...I'm not sure if I am being a worry wart or not, but I opened up a new bag of Purina flock raiser, and I noticed there were alot of clumps. It didn't smell bad, but it didn't smell good...it's always a little dusty.

Then I reach in and found a maggot or larvae of some sort. Now, I want to return it, but is it silly and a waste of time? I read about bad feed...are they talking moldy? I don't think it is moldy...just not very fresh.

Thanks!

Kristen

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    OH NO!!! If it were me, I would take it back. I wouldn't take any chances. Clumps? Larvae or maggot = RETURN !

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Don't feed it! Clumps indicate it's been wet and if it's molded, even if you can't see it, it would be bad for your flock. I'd return it ASAP.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Well i buy a ton at a time and on this last 2 batch i noticed a few bags had big clumps at the bottom of the bag that looked moldy but didn't smell moldy more like vitamins smell ,i feed 2 bags a day.

I though mabe the feed got damp here some how and that is why it was like that, now that you have posted about it,i wonder whats really going on with the feed.

5. emarble

emarble Chillin' With My Peeps

they would be replacing it if it was me! Moldy or not if its clumpin its be wet! I used to buy horse feed a ton at a time and always took back clumping feed! That just tells me the feed has been wet sometimes wheather its moldy or not means nothing!! Unless it has a lot of molasses in it and then it still shouldn't clump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ernie

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Take it back and tell them it's weevily. It happens from time to time.

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Well the best i can do when i dump a 50 pound bag out for 300 birds and find clumps in the bottom of a bag is pull out the clump ,cause there is no picking up the feed troughs and dumping them back in the bag with this many feeding at one time, i could return the part of the ton left over but then what do i feed my birds not all the bags are like this?

Not many people need a ton of feed every 20 days , i have ran out of feed a few times because my order did not come in and it is not fun trying to find a way to feed them while waiting for my order to get here.

Horse feed is a different story, while it is not good to switch feed there is always some kind of brand that will get you by till you can get more of your brand, i use to by a ton of horse feed a week so i been there to.

8. trinacliff

trinacliff Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Thanks all of you! I will be taking it back tomorrow! Now, what to feed on a very cold night with no feed??? Ugh...ticks me off when bad feed leaves me in a pickle!

Kristen

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Moldy feed is bad. If it's just clumping because of the larva, which I've seen happen with meal moth larva, then you could feed it. It's not quite as nutritious after they've gotten into it, but it isn't dangerous like mold. When it's clumping due to meal moths, the clumps are kind of webby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by