Bad hatch any advice? comments?

muslw4

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
Northern Illinois
I am so disappointed. I was trying to hatch lavender orpingtons, salmon faverolle, and jap bantams. out of 42 eggs 7 hatched. three were stuck in the egg and one that was healthy died. I think I kept him in the bator too long since he was one of the first to hatch. I didn't want to open the bator while others were pipped. Out of the ones that were stuck I think one will die. it's not doing well. I broke the unhatched eggs open, most had chicks mostly formed in them with really thick membranes. I think the humidity must have been too high. I had it around 60 then increased to 70 during lock down. was this too high? it was according to the bator's instructions. any advice? This was my third time trying to incubate. the other two times didn't go well either but I was too ...eh..."chicken" to crack the eggs open to see what was what.

What were your temps at? Were you turning the eggs 3xs a day? Did you stop turning at lock down?

Stuck to egg sounds a lot like low humidity to me. During incubation i keep my humidity at 65-70 then bump up to 80 the last hatch day and so far have not lost a chick as of yet.

The temp was 100 and dipped to 99.5 at low point but that was it. stayed steady for the most part. and I had the eggs in a turner until day 18 then took tehm out and bumped up humidity. I just cleaned out the rest of the eggs and there were 2 more babies in their eggs moving but stuck. THe membrane was very thick almost like a skin. poor things were moving around but couldn't break through. the shells totally flaked off. I don't think these guys will make it. I tried saving one like this in the last batch but he was crippled and died later on anyway. This sucks. would have had a good hatch just need to figure out what I'm doing wrong. It's got to be humidity too high or too low. I'm using a Genesis 1588. it was brand new and this is the third attempted.

Back
Top Bottom