Bad heat spike - would floating tell me status?

beesong

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Northernmost California
I had a bad heat spike last night of 114* and possibly higher. My guinea eggs are 3/4 of the way through the incubation period. If they all died, I'd just as soon empty the incubator and start over instead of waiting another week to see if there was some sort of "survival miracle" for any of them. Would the float test give me this info at this stage of their development?

I'm not sure, but I don't think it would help. As far as I understand it, the embryos do move around all through the incubation, but they only really start wriggling and struggling when they're getting ready to pip the shells. I suppose if you wanted to try it, it probably wouldn't do any harm though. And I might be proved spectacularly wrong, LOL! Just don't throw them all out if they're not wriggling around!

Edit: How long did the heat spike last? If it was just a few minutes, it probably won't have affected them at all. If it was less than a couple of hours, your eggs might still have a very small chance. If it was longer than a couple of hours, you might as well chuck them now...

Last edited:
Quote:
The problem is that I don't know -- the heat spike was during the night. I guess I'll just have to let them go for another week and find out. I'd hate to pitch them now if there's a chance of getting anything out of them.

Back
Top Bottom