Bad ideal

DK

Songster
15 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Alabama
I went to TS the other day and there was some bantam chick for sale some were cochin and silkie I pickout 8 to buy. I had a silkie hen that just hatched off 3 chick I had her in a pen just her and the three chick so I put the 8 new chick in with her to see if she would be a mother to them .She begain to take to the chick right away so I sit and watch for a while she had them under her wing and clucking to them and showing them where the food was so I left them in with her I did"t think she would hurt them.The next day I came out to check on the chick and three of the new chick were dead it look like she had peck them to death. I just hated what happen so I move all the chick that were left in the brooder.A bad way to learn a lesson. DK

That's so sad. Sorry it happened
hugs.gif

Sounded like you did all the right things and Mom seemed to be taking to them... sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sorry this didn't work this time. Next time if you can add babies within a day of hatching the others and placing then under her at night... might work out better... but maybe not this particular mom.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom