Bad luck with chickens

jh1013

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 2, 2012
Texas
So i decided to get some chickens, just for eggs & watch them hatch chicks, just to enjoy since i have loved chickens since i was a child. Heres how the experience has been so far...
I got a RIR roo by himself a few mos ago he was healthy & fun to watch, so i decided to get some pullets. 1 pullet got sick immediately (what i now know to be coryza)so on the advice of members on here i had my bf cull it, the other 2 pullets i gave back.
Ffwd 1 1/2 months, i bought 8 more pullets, thoroughly inspected each 1, no sign of sickness. The temperature dropped off while i was working they got too cold & i now have 1 with full blown coryza, she is now isolated but has exposed all chickens. I mean she smells rotten like she is dead, eyes oozing, gross. 2 more with a faint odor but no other symptoms. I have been giving duramyacin for over a week, just as a precaution, now gonna give sulmet.
Obviously there is no such thing as a "clean" chicken, even young pullets. WHO KNEW just getting a few chickens for a backyard would be such a horrible experience?? Out of all the people i know that have had chickens no one had to cull & treat sick chicks!

Not going to cull anymore. Gonna give this last treatment of sulmet, they either live or die on their own. Keep a closed flcck just for eggs & when these all die off for whatever reason try to findclean chickens somehow or maybe just stick w the grocery store!

Sorry to hear about your problems. Your rooster may be passing something to your new pullets. I don't know if this will make you feel better, but I have had some bad luck with chickens this year. Not with the hatchery chicks I bought for my daughter from Agway, which are as healthy as horses. It's the expensive birds I purchased for her...of course!

Idk probably so, hes been around all the others. Only 2 others have the odor that i noticed, not including him. Im going to treat them all with the sulmet just in case tho. Im just frustrated bc i tried so hard to prevent disease & get healthy chicks this time. Its hard to pin down the source of the problem bc as it turned out 4 of the chicks came from the same place as the first set of pullets i got came from. I didnt know this bc they were purchased at an auction. The hay i was using as bedding was hay that was fertilized with chicken manure from a chicken farm. My farm was once used as an emu farm. So who knows exactly what the source of my problems is. I know that my roo didnt catch anything from the first pullets i had bc he was alone for 6 weeks and never showed any symptoms. He had to stay in with the 7 (not the sickest 1) pullets i have now today bc neighbors dog was waiting to get him this am.... so :( hes prob goona get sick. But i used vetRx on them & in their water yesterday, maybe that will help

Im sorry to hear that Littlecritters it seems like its always the favorite 1s that get sick. The 2 i mentioned having an odor too were my 2 favorites. Maybe we should all just buy hatchery chicks lol problem solved. :)of course i did see some advice on here that made sense: dont pick favorites or get attached to the chickens...hmmm maybe thats why.

Here is a thought...Dr. Brown at firststatevetsupply.com is extremely knowledgeable about chickens. You could send him an email and ask what products, medicines, supplements etc he would recommend for your situation. I actually drove two hours to go see him at a chicken show in order to get his advice and purchase supplies. He has created an Emergency Kit for poultry which sells for only $25. I bought one and it is worth every penny. He also has a great product called Vita Pro B which contains vitamins and probiotics. I hope he can help you....best of luck.

I thought i would give an update...i ended up giving tylan 200 injections into the breast of any chickens showing any kind of respiratory symptoms. One chicken i gave the injection into the thigh tissue and within 24 hrs she lost the use of her leg on that side. One week later she has recovered some movement and use of her leg. One pullet has been in quaratine for 1 month and is still having swollen sinuses and drainage from 1 eye, she has recieved a total of 2 injections, other than that she acts normal eating drinking etc. Other than those 2 all others are doing great. No symptoms of any disease, they are growing fast and look good including the roo:)

Back
Top Bottom