Bad Pip!

FluffyButtBabies

Songster
Jun 24, 2020
Virginia
BadPip.jpeg What do I do? I'm pretty sure she's pipping at the wrong end. Also, the pip looks more like a crack, but I haven't touched the egg so that's how I know it's not. Will I have to help her? I don't want to do anything until I know for sure...

Yep. That's a fractured pip (I think they call it that?? ;)) it's when the embryo is facing the wrong way, so thus can't pip through the air cell like it should. They have to pip extra hard to break through both the shell and the membrane at the same time. My mistake I made when I had this situation was assisting too early. You see, it is probably not ready to hatch. The crack you see is acting as both an internal pip and external pip so it may be 24 hours or so before it's ready to hatch. Does that make sense? If this was a normal, correctly positioned chick it would only be internally pipped at this point in time. Write down when you first noticed it. Don't assist for 24 hours unless it's starting to decline. You will probably most likely have to help her

Thank you so much! I had no idea that it's like an early pip. It makes sense too, because none of the others have piped yet. I'll keep an eye on her. She's still moving and peeping, but hasn't made any other cracks. So should I not help her until tomorrow? She piped last night/this morning.

Re-asses as late this evening as you can. Can you see her beak? I would be concerned if she stops peeping, then she could have started suffocating. when the other chicks start actively hatching she's probably ready. My mistake was: I helped 12 hours after pip (broke some shel away), chick was not ready, membrane started bleeding, applied cornstarch, dried out membrane bc of the lack of shell, chick put it's beak back in to egg and suffocated:( and yeah, it just went downhill. Raise your humidity a little to help keep membrane moist. Don't get too attached, this is a severely malposistioned chick who's gonna need a small miracle to make it. And don't pull away shell prematurely like I did

Yep. That's a fractured pip (I think they call it that?? ;)) it's when the embryo is facing the wrong way, so thus can't pip through the air cell like it should. They have to pip extra hard to break through both the shell and the membrane at the same time. My mistake I made when I had this situation was assisting too early. You see, it is probably not ready to hatch. The crack you see is acting as both an internal pip and external pip so it may be 24 hours or so before it's ready to hatch. Does that make sense? If this was a normal, correctly positioned chick it would only be internally pipped at this point in time. Write down when you first noticed it. Don't assist for 24 hours unless it's starting to decline. You will probably most likely have to help her
:goodpost:
I had one of these a couple hatches ago, and it hatched on its own in 34 hours. He did great. So OP might not have to assist. If you do try to assist though, give it at least 30 hours. 24 hours will be too early since this is also the internal pip.

Awesome guys, thanks for the help! I was really stressed out because I've never really had this problem before. I don't think she's having trouble breathing, I can hear her peep and the shell moves occasionally. It's a pretty big crack. I'll wait till tomorrow morning/afternoon to help if I really need to. Hopefully it won't come to that!

this has happened to me before too. the first time i too helped early and he ended up dying. just yesterday though it happened again and i didnt help and it hatched just fine. i think they just take a little longer and can pull through on there own. but i am no expert!
Yup! Sorry for your loss. They usually can make it out fine. Just takes a bit longer.

Back
Top Bottom