Bad quail feet

AlishaVanRooyen

Chirping
Feb 9, 2023
I got 4 beautiful quail hens yesterday. 3 are super happy and healthy, but last night i saw one has swolen feet. I immediately contacted the breeder asking if this is something they have ever experienced and how to treat it.. Their response was that its all ok and they just moved the chicks off the solid flooring onto a wire floor and that its just swelling because of the change in floors. Breeder told me the swelling will go down and no treatment is needed.

However this little girl is not as active as the other 3, she prefers to sit while the rest explore.

They are 3 weeks old and photos are attached.

What do I do? What is happening to her feet? Do I treat it and how?

Attachments

• 20240130_194002.jpg
    20240130_194002.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240130_193958.jpg
    20240130_193958.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240130_193954.jpg
    20240130_193954.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240130_193943.jpg
    20240130_193943.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hello,

Poor girl it looks like her toe is inflamed/maybe infected. I will attempt to proved advice.

Firstly I never use wire for the floor for a few reasons:
-If it's not the right wire it can cause bumble foot.
-I have seen various animals get their toes stuck in wire mesh.
-It leaves the birds or animal to exposed to the weather and predators.

The benifits of using wire mesh for the flooring is solely for cleaning purposes. I personally have not used this method and go for frequent spot cleaning instead because I have observed more issues with wire flooring than benifits.

To assist your birds toe I would suggest giving her different flooring (for now). I would also keep an eye on that toe to ensure the inflammation does not turn into an infection . Boost her immunity by adding garlic oil, oregano, and electrolytes to the water. You can also put Prid drawing salve on her toe and wrap it a bit (this stuff is a life saver). See if it draws out any puss or anything that could be stuck in her toe. Keep it wrapped, clean, and dry until the swelling goes down or you see improvement (I use coban tape).Make sure she gets enough food to heal up properly.

I notice each bird acts differently when they don't feel good. I had this Acona with bumble foot who was limping (she is better now) and then I have this Buff who has bumble foot but does not give a cluck she is healing but definitely not babying the foot like the Acona was 😆. The other three quial just might be more tolerant or tough.

I am incubating quail eggs now and the cages I am looking at for them have a solid floor. I just think wire mesh is to hard on their feet and has other downfalls. If you do use wire flooring then make sure to get the kind that is coated and give them a solid place to stand like a sand bath or piece of wood that they can go to to rest their feet.

(Photo is of the salve)

Hope she feels better, sending good vibes!
- Kate

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240131_100319_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240131_100319_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 3
Hello,

Poor girl it looks like her toe is inflamed/maybe infected. I will attempt to proved advice.

Firstly I never use wire for the floor for a few reasons:
-If it's not the right wire it can cause bumble foot.
-I have seen various animals get their toes stuck in wire mesh.
-It leaves the birds or animal to exposed to the weather and predators.

The benifits of using wire mesh for the flooring is solely for cleaning purposes. I personally have not used this method and go for frequent spot cleaning instead because I have observed more issues with wire flooring than benifits.

To assist your birds toe I would suggest giving her different flooring (for now). I would also keep an eye on that toe to ensure the inflammation does not turn into an infection . Boost her immunity by adding garlic oil, oregano, and electrolytes to the water. You can also put Prid drawing salve on her toe and wrap it a bit (this stuff is a life saver). See if it draws out any puss or anything that could be stuck in her toe. Keep it wrapped, clean, and dry until the swelling goes down or you see improvement (I use coban tape).Make sure she gets enough food to heal up properly.

I notice each bird acts differently when they don't feel good. I had this Acona with bumble foot who was limping (she is better now) and then I have this Buff who has bumble foot but does not give a cluck she is healing but definitely not babying the foot like the Acona was 😆. The other three quial just might be more tolerant or tough.

I am incubating quail eggs now and the cages I am looking at for them have a solid floor. I just think wire mesh is to hard on their feet and has other downfalls. If you do use wire flooring then make sure to get the kind that is coated and give them a solid place to stand like a sand bath or piece of wood that they can go to to rest their feet.

(Photo is of the salve)

Hope she feels better, sending good vibes!
- Kate
Hi Kate,

The birds are on a solid floor as I do not like a wire floor personally, it was the breeder who had them on wire.

I will get salve for the foot and electrolytes. She seems to have perked up a bit, but I will still keep a close eye on her foot.

Thank you for the advice <3

Back
Top Bottom