Bad raccoon attack

Pics

ASchreffler

Chirping
May 15, 2021
Marianna, Fl
1AM we heard a squawk of distress. Shown the light out the window and a raccoon ran into the woods. One of our girls failed to go up into the house and stayed in the lower part of our coop. She must have fallen asleep next to the chicken wire… she has an injured wing and leg, a missing toe, and pretty deep wound on her head. We brought her inside and sprayed vetericyn plus on her wounds. Early this morning a made some electrolytes out of sugar, baking soda, salt, and water as well as got her food with her favorite treats in it. When I came in to give it to her she had jumped out of the box :(. I’m glad she’s moving but I know it hurt! I sprayed her wounds again and watched her eat and drink. I was planning on going to TSC to get some antibiotics, iodine, and anything else I can find to help her. Any advice?! Please help, I feel horrible this happened to my baby. We are going to put smaller wire along the bottom of the coop as we are in process of building their bigger one… should be done this week! Also, thinking of trapping the coon? Does this look like something she can recover?

Attachments

• 59B20FFA-5FDF-41F4-BF2C-0606A15FDE31.jpeg
    59B20FFA-5FDF-41F4-BF2C-0606A15FDE31.jpeg
    426.6 KB · Views: 37
  • B8E861B3-C791-4988-A218-179C5EA0C1B4.jpeg
    B8E861B3-C791-4988-A218-179C5EA0C1B4.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 92680CF8-688C-4B70-ADE9-B1835EE45448.jpeg
    92680CF8-688C-4B70-ADE9-B1835EE45448.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 6D5C0AA5-D7A3-4AC6-BB4C-C6E8970B772C.jpeg
    6D5C0AA5-D7A3-4AC6-BB4C-C6E8970B772C.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 15
1AM we heard a squawk of distress. Shown the light out the window and a raccoon ran into the woods. One of our girls failed to go up into the house and stayed in the lower part of our coop. She must have fallen asleep next to the chicken wire… she has an injured wing and leg, a missing toe, and pretty deep wound on her head. We brought her inside and sprayed vetericyn plus on her wounds. Early this morning a made some electrolytes out of sugar, baking soda, salt, and water as well as got her food with her favorite treats in it. When I came in to give it to her she had jumped out of the box :(. I’m glad she’s moving but I know it hurt! I sprayed her wounds again and watched her eat and drink. I was planning on going to TSC to get some antibiotics, iodine, and anything else I can find to help her. Any advice?! Please help, I feel horrible this happened to my baby. We are going to put smaller wire along the bottom of the coop as we are in process of building their bigger one… should be done this week! Also, thinking of trapping the coon? Does this look like something she can recover?
Oh my gosh! I am so sorry this happened! Poor thing. keep giving her electrolytes and make sure she eats/drinks ( though drinking is more important ) it looks very bad, try wrapping a bit of gauze strips around the leg after washing the wound out with some warm water. I dont usually deal with hurt chickens, so im not sure if i can give amazing advice. clean out her cuts two - three times daily to prevent infection, and maybe try rinsing them out with iodine?

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry this happened! Poor thing. keep giving her electrolytes and make sure she eats/drinks ( though drinking is more important ) it looks very bad, try wrapping a bit of gauze strips around the leg after washing the wound out with some warm water. I dont usually deal with hurt chickens, so im not sure if i can give amazing advice. clean out her cuts two - three times daily to prevent infection, and maybe try rinsing them out with iodine?
Thank you for your response. I bought iodine this morning and medicated feed… she is drinking electrolyte water praise the Lord and she is eating some. I’m not sure whether to wrap it or keep it clean and in the air? :( I just want what’s best for her and am unsure what is at the moment. I feel like if she could heal she could live a happy life.

Thank you for your response. I bought iodine this morning and medicated feed… she is drinking electrolyte water praise the Lord and she is eating some. I’m not sure whether to wrap it or keep it clean and in the air? :( I just want what’s best for her and am unsure what is at the moment. I feel like if she could heal she could live a happy life.
No problem! Thats so good, i think wash it out a bit more, then wrap it up for a bit, take it off a few times a day to let it air and to wash out (so it prevents infection) :) Hopefully everything goes well :love

Sorry about your hen. She actually looks pretty good ♡ . I'd just make sure her wounds were cleaned well and then apply daily for a week or two, a topical Neosporin w/o pain aid as the pain aid can harm your chook. Keep flies away from her so they don't lay eggs and cause another bigger problem. I would tape up her toe so it stayed clean. Keep her eating nutritious food to help aid in her quick heal. She should come around quickly. I don't think you will need oral antibiotics. Maybe a wait and see. A few days to recover should be good. Don't keep her separated from the flock for too long.
She really escaped a fearsome predator. I would make sure my coop was a vault. Trap and remove the raccoons as they will come back for more but that is your call. Glad your girl is ok.

Sorry about your hen. She actually looks pretty good ♡ . I'd just make sure her wounds were cleaned well and then apply a topical Neosporin w/o pain aid as the pain aid can harm your chook. Keep flies away from her so they don't lay eggs and cause another bigger problem. I would tape up her toe so it stayed clean. Keep her eating nutritious food to help aid in her quick heal. She should come around quickly. I don't think you will need oral antibiotics. Maybe a wait and see. A few days to recover should be good. Don't keep her separated from the flock for too long.
She really escaped a fearsome predator. I would make sure my coop was a vault. Trap and remove the raccoons as they will come back for more but that is your call. Glad your girl is ok.
Sounds like good advice! I wouldnt tape the toe though, it could cause it to get a bit worse, you should wash it out and possibly add gauze on it if needed :) shes a strong girl though! Racoons are fierce

taping toe is fine, but you Need to flush out The wound first, then take it off to wash it daily

Last edited:
Sorry about your hen. She actually looks pretty good ♡ . I'd just make sure her wounds were cleaned well and then apply daily for a week or two, a topical Neosporin w/o pain aid as the pain aid can harm your chook. Keep flies away from her so they don't lay eggs and cause another bigger problem. I would tape up her toe so it stayed clean. Keep her eating nutritious food to help aid in her quick heal. She should come around quickly. I don't think you will need oral antibiotics. Maybe a wait and see. A few days to recover should be good. Don't keep her separated from the flock for too long.
100% agree on that! She wouldn’t of gotten attacked if she were up in the house with the rest :/ but we are going to make adjustments to the coop. We were checking allll night for the coon and didn’t get much rest. We are going to be working on catching it with a trap today. She is currently inside so the flies don’t get her and I can keep her cleaned up and make sure she’s eating and drinking. I’ll get something to tape up her toe thanks!

Back
Top Bottom