Bad raccoon attack

100% agree on that! She wouldn’t of gotten attacked if she were up in the house with the rest :/ but we are going to make adjustments to the coop. We were checking allll night for the coon and didn’t get much rest. We are going to be working on catching it with a trap today. She is currently inside so the flies don’t get her and I can keep her cleaned up and make sure she’s eating and drinking. I’ll get something to tape up her toe thanks!
looking into a outdoor camera could be smart aswell. I recommend blink outdoor cam, that works very well!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 3
Yep, you should only do that to wash the wound
So I went outside to inspect the other hens and apparently it got two of them. The second I found had a minor wing injury and tips of 3 toes gone. She is super upright and chipper, I brought her in as well. We rinsed with saline and put iodine. Hubby has to do the neosporin… I’m worried though because all of a sudden the hen pictured has one eye shut and is beginning to be reluctant to drink. Does this mean she won’t make it? Her one leg has tendons exposed and it’s pretty bad…

So I went outside to inspect the other hens and apparently it got two of them. The second I found had a minor wing injury and tips of 3 toes gone. She is super upright and chipper, I brought her in as well. We rinsed with saline and put iodine. Hubby has to do the neosporin… I’m worried though because all of a sudden the hen pictured has one eye shut and is beginning to be reluctant to drink. Does this mean she won’t make it? Her one leg has tendons exposed and it’s pretty bad…

Oh no! im so sorry, i think theres still hope, i hope shes alright :(

Give us photos. Always good. Also good you buddy the girls up. Thats perfect (in a sad way, sorry) I'd stick with the good cleaning and Neosporin. Chickens are incredible. Do everything you can to keep your girls eating. You may have to syringe feed but if you can't keep them.nurished you are close to game over.
My BR got attacked and she survived and laid an egg 3 weeks later.
20210305_074829.jpg

Keep them safe and warm with fresh feed, softened if need be, I gave scrambled eggs, papaya... what ever she would eat. Alway keep fresh feed out for them along with fresh water, add vitamins every so many days. Do get antibiotics just incase you need. But don't give unless her skin stinks or green poop or your sure she has infection.
20210813_071455~2.jpg
Mazzie had a perfect heal at 3.5 years old.

Give us photos. Always good. Also good you buddy the girls up. Thats perfect (in a sad way, sorry) I'd stick with the good cleaning and Neosporin. Chickens are incredible. Do everything you can to keep your girls eating. You may have to syringe feed but if you can't keep them.nurished you are close to game over.
My BR got attacked and she survived and laid an egg 3 weeks later. View attachment 2845658
Keep them safe and warm with fresh feed, softened if need be, I gave scrambled eggs, papaya... what ever she would eat. Alway keep fresh feed out for them along with fresh water, add vitamins every so many days. Do get antibiotics just incase you need. But don't give unless her skin stinks or green poop or your sure she has infection.View attachment 2845668Mazzie had a perfect heal at 3.5 years old.
oh my! Thats a miracle she recovered! Those are deep wounds!

Back
Top Bottom