Bad raccoon attack

Give us photos. Always good. Also good you buddy the girls up. Thats perfect (in a sad way, sorry) I'd stick with the good cleaning and Neosporin. Chickens are incredible. Do everything you can to keep your girls eating. You may have to syringe feed but if you can't keep them.nurished you are close to game over.
My BR got attacked and she survived and laid an egg 3 weeks later. View attachment 2845658
Keep them safe and warm with fresh feed, softened if need be, I gave scrambled eggs, papaya... what ever she would eat. Alway keep fresh feed out for them along with fresh water, add vitamins every so many days. Do get antibiotics just incase you need. But don't give unless her skin stinks or green poop or your sure she has infection.View attachment 2845668Mazzie had a perfect heal at 3.5 years old.
How do you syringe feed? I feel like that’s our downfall right now. I got her to drink but cannot get her to eat. I’ll make her some eggs now. Wow! That was a huge attack! That gives me hope. It’s the weekend and I have no idea how to get her antibiotics… apparently the medicated feed is just for stomach issues… I forgot what it was called. The guy at tractor supply had recommended it for my situation but then I looked it up and it’s not what I need. How often should I make sure she drinks? Every 30 min? I have papaya in the freezer I can thaw out too…. Although she didn’t eat the pomegranate last night that she devoured earlier in the day.

Attachments

• 739B365B-A1F6-4B6A-AE72-5BBEC8BA9691.jpeg
    739B365B-A1F6-4B6A-AE72-5BBEC8BA9691.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 8B154D6B-C701-44B3-8D42-DD0930C8F7A8.jpeg
    8B154D6B-C701-44B3-8D42-DD0930C8F7A8.jpeg
    600.7 KB · Views: 3
How do you syringe feed? I feel like that’s our downfall right now. I got her to drink but cannot get her to eat. I’ll make her some eggs now. Wow! That was a huge attack! That gives me hope. It’s the weekend and I have no idea how to get her antibiotics… apparently the medicated feed is just for stomach issues… I forgot what it was called. The guy at tractor supply had recommended it for my situation but then I looked it up and it’s not what I need. How often should I make sure she drinks? Every 30 min? I have papaya in the freezer I can thaw out too…. Although she didn’t eat the pomegranate last night that she devoured earlier in the day.
I don't know that I'd worry about food yet. It hasn't been long since the attack, and she might still be in a little bit of shock. If she's drinking, I'd wait. You can maybe put some NutriDrench in her water. Syringe feeding isn't super difficult, but you'd have to force her to take it, which might hurt her. And there's always threat of aspiration if the food doesn't go down correctly.

You can get antibiotics from a vet, of course, but I buy Baytril online here, but there are a few places that will sell it for pets without prescription. Just google "Baytril no prescription." Vets are almost always a better bet, but that's not always an option.

I don't know that I'd worry about food yet. It hasn't been long since the attack, and she might still be in a little bit of shock. If she's drinking, I'd wait. You can maybe put some NutriDrench in her water. Syringe feeding isn't super difficult, but you'd have to force her to take it, which might hurt her. And there's always threat of aspiration if the food doesn't go down correctly.

You can get antibiotics from a vet, of course, but I buy Baytril online here, but there are a few places that will sell it for pets without prescription. Just google "Baytril no prescription." Vets are almost always a better bet, but that's not always an option.
Yeah, we have one vet that takes hens and they are so overbooked that I can’t get in soon enough. I guess I don’t know how much she should be drinking? I go in every 15-30 min and hold the bowl up to her and she takes a couple sips and then goes back to resting. She’s pretty lethargic now which has me in a frenzy trying to make sure I’m doing everything I can. She didn’t want the eggs and I tried giving her some blended up food with banana in a syringe and she didn’t want it… I can see where I’d have to force her and she has such a deep head injury I don’t wanna grab her there.

I agree, food usually doesnt come til later. very good advice!

Poor baby ♡ beautiful girls. The one who looks a little depressed is the second one? She is missing 3 toes and has some wing damage? We're you able to check her thoroughly all over for any wounds that may be hidden? She does look not well. Maybe a cover for the cage if you have not put already. Quiet and dark at first.
So, how are the girls today? Smell? Poop?
I also used a soft clean paintbrush when applying the Neosporin. Just a thought.

Yeah, the antibiotics can be a movie and you probably won't have to worry about that for a little bit if at all. Just nice to have on hand if you need to get ahead of a situation.
Yes, her eating on her own is ideal. I had to switch it up a lot with my girl. A favorite one day was not the next and I used healthy treats to get in extra calories after she ate. They can and will most likely loose some weight now your just trying to minimize it. If you have access to live mealworms it is a great source of protein. I also give my girls cooked meat as a snack, especially with feather loss- molts etc. So after she eats, give treats for added calories... just makes sure she is getting as much as you can ♡♡♡ (within reason)

On the syringe feeding I fit a 2" long tube on the tip of my 10 mil syringe. I purchased a length from my feed store from their fish tank tubing. Cut the 2", burn to soften the one edge so as not to hurt the girl going down, can also dip in coco oil to aid. 2" is long enough to make it past and take away the danger of aspiration as long as you don't overload. Your chicken will need 30 mils minimum per day of good healthy feed. If you get to the point of syringe feeding you can thin your feed with electrolytes and or vita water. Sit her on your lap, wait till she calms- can use a towel, open beak (I usually put the tip of my finger in as a wedge as I steady her head so she can not close and I can then have a clear shot to get the tube in easily) . You will have to read the situation and determine what you and she need. It is not that hard so don't worry. You got this and are doing a great job ♡♡♡ You are obviously a loving thoughtful parent. :hugs
I know that this is a very stressful situation but
have you had time to check your whole flock out for hidden injuries? They are stoic little gals and can mask pain and injury very well ♡♡♡
Looking forward to your updates and wishing you all good health and a fast recovery.

Poor baby ♡ beautiful girls. The one who looks a little depressed is the second one? She is missing 3 toes and has some wing damage? We're you able to check her thoroughly all over for any wounds that may be hidden? She does look not well. Maybe a cover for the cage if you have not put already. Quiet and dark at first.
I also used a soft clean paintbrush when applying the Neosporin. Just a thought.

Yeah, the antibiotics can be a movie and you probably won't have to worry about that for a little bit if at all. Just nice to have on hand if you need to get ahead of a situation.
Yes, her eating on her own is ideal. I had to switch it up a lot with my girl. A favorite one day was not the next and I used healthy treats to get in extra calories after she ate. They can and will most likely loose some weight now your just trying to minimize it. If you have access to live mealworms it is a great source of protein. I also give my girls cooked meat as a snack, especially with feather loss- molts etc. So after she eats, give treats for added calories... just makes sure she is getting as much as you can ♡♡♡ (within reason)

On the syringe feeding I fit a 2" long tube on the tip of my 10 mil syringe. I purchased a length from my feed store from their fish tank tubing. Cut the 2", burn to soften the one edge so as not to hurt the girl going down, can also dip in coco oil to aid. 2" is long enough to make it past and take away the danger of aspiration as long as you don't overload. Your chicken will need 30 mils minimum per day of good healthy feed. If you get to the point of syringe feeding you can thin your feed with electrolytes and or vita water. Sit her on your lap, wait till she calms- can use a towel, open beak (I usually put the tip of my finger in as a wedge as I steady her head so she can not close and I can then have a clear shot to get the tube in easily) . You will have to read the situation and determine what you and she need. It is not that hard so don't worry. You got this and are doing a great job ♡♡♡ You are obviously a loving thoughtful parent. :hugs
have you had time to check your whole flock out for hidden injuries? They are stoic little gals and can mask pain and injury very well ♡♡♡
Looking forward to your updates and wishing you all good health and a fast recovery.
The one on the left with her head down has the most injuries. It’s really her leg and head that’s most concerning, you can see her tendons in the leg and Her skull for the head. she will sip a couple sips when I hold the bowl up to her. The one on the right is still super active compared to the other, she just has the wing and toes. All other hens were examined and fine. So they are still pooping and it looked normal. After cleaning the cage this morning one poop was a little dry which I am thinking was from the more injured one. I have made electrolyte water with sugar, a little baking soda and a little salt from a recipe I found online and have been giving them that since yesterday morning. Their wounds are being cleaned 3-4 times a day… trying to get fluids in her every 15-30 min. But she’s not taking much. I’ll have to get some antibiotics to have on hand. Thank you for all of the info. And the encouragement. It’s crazy how a bird can feel like a child and I feel like I’m doing what I can and my heart is breaking for her.

I just wrote a long response and got kicked off… smh. So the one on the left that is head down is the most injured. You could see her skull after the attack and her tendons on her leg, her toe is looking like it’s healing well. Her leg is still raw fleshy looking. she’s the one that I am having to really try and get fluids in and won’t eat today. The other had the wing and a couple toe tips, she is walking around and eating and drinking.

poop looks normal so far, although after cleaning the cage this morning there was a dryer poo which is probably from the worse off one.

I didn’t have a blanket over the cage, I will do that.

thank you for all of the encouraging words and support. She feels like one of my babies and it’s hard not to feel like there’s something I should of or could of done. Please keep her in your prayers.

I just wrote a long response and got kicked off… smh. So the one on the left that is head down is the most injured. You could see her skull after the attack and her tendons on her leg, her toe is looking like it’s healing well. Her leg is still raw fleshy looking. she’s the one that I am having to really try and get fluids in and won’t eat today. The other had the wing and a couple toe tips, she is walking around and eating and drinking.

poop looks normal so far, although after cleaning the cage this morning there was a dryer poo which is probably from the worse off one.

I didn’t have a blanket over the cage, I will do that.

thank you for all of the encouraging words and support. She feels like one of my babies and it’s hard not to feel like there’s something I should of or could of done. Please keep her in your prayers.
We will, it always is hard, but its never your fault, im sure everything will work out ❤️
🙂 just let me know if theres anything i can do. I love my babies with all My heart, chickens have the mindset of a 3 year old child, they can think basic emotions like sadness, love, anger, which is spectacular, i wish the best for your girls

I think you are doing everything right. You are at a bit of a wait and see moment right now. She may have injuries internally or still be in some shock. I love that you are offering her water every 30 so she may be taking in enough in sips. You are very attentive and that is awesome. I hear you with the worry, it is hard but that is where BYC shines. Keep thumbing through its mountains of into and see what others have done and take the best info and leave the rest. Hopefully your girl will stabilize today and have a steady heal. She is working it out. It must have been scary traumatic for your babies. It is wonderful you are there for them. Good momma ♡♡♡

Back
Top Bottom