bad ratio!

A bad ratio causes two problems:

1) drakes fighting

2) ducks being overmated.

Keeping your two drakes in separate pens solves the first problem, getting rid of one drake also solves the first problem.

Size factors into the second problem. If you have a pekin drake and campbell ducks then you have to make sure that you have a good ratio to prevent overmating. If you have a pekin and a good ratio, then I wouldn't worry about you campbells. On the other hand, if you only have two ducks for your drake then you better keep an eye on things.

I am still somewhat new to having ducks, but here is what I would try: First, get rid of the extra drake. Then put both your ducks in with your drake. If things look bad, then put your ducks in one pen and your drake in another. Once you can get two more ducks then put everybody back into the same pen again.

A bad ratio causes two problems:

1) drakes fighting

2) ducks being overmated.

Keeping your two drakes in separate pens solves the first problem, getting rid of one drake also solves the first problem.

Size factors into the second problem. If you have a pekin drake and campbell ducks then you have to make sure that you have a good ratio to prevent overmating. If you have a pekin and a good ratio, then I wouldn't worry about you campbells. On the other hand, if you only have two ducks for your drake then you better keep an eye on things.

I am still somewhat new to having ducks, but here is what I would try: First, get rid of the extra drake. Then put both your ducks in with your drake. If things look bad, then put your ducks in one pen and your drake in another. Once you can get two more ducks then put everybody back into the same pen again.
do you think one drake and four ducks is a good ratio? i know the khaki is small, that’s why we are planning to get two more bigger girls so he bothers the khaki less. i am also thinking about putting him in the same coop at night, but seperated by chicken wire so he cannot touch them. that way they will get nighttime with no mating.

i think i am going to keep the other drake but get him a drake friend, they won’t be able to see the girls. if they fight due to hearing them, then i will just put chicken wire in between them so they cannot fight but still have company.

do you think one drake and four ducks is a good ratio? i know the khaki is small, that’s why we are planning to get two more bigger girls so he bothers the khaki less. i am also thinking about putting him in the same coop at night, but seperated by chicken wire so he cannot touch them. that way they will get nighttime with no mating.

i think i am going to keep the other drake but get him a drake friend, they won’t be able to see the girls. if they fight due to hearing them, then i will just put chicken wire in between them so they cannot fight but still have company.
I think one drake and four ducks is an ok ratio, once again it depends on the drake! you will have to wait and see what happens

I think one drake and four ducks is an ok ratio, once again it depends on the drake! you will have to wait and see what happens
thank you, i am just trying to be prepared. i started this spring with four drakes who were brothers, and had to rehome two (sadly, the other boy i was going to keep passed away)

i want to try to get ready for this before i put them together, so that nobody gets hurt

and what’s your opinion on having a khaki girl with a pekin drake? like if they mate, could he drown her easily?

thank you, i am just trying to be prepared. i started this spring with four drakes who were brothers, and had to rehome two (sadly, the other boy i was going to keep passed away)

i want to try to get ready for this before i put them together, so that nobody gets hurt

and what’s your opinion on having a khaki girl with a pekin drake? like if they mate, could he drown her easily?
I am not really sure about that, I have only ever had khaki campbells, cayugas, and one blue swedish duck. As long as there is enough females I don't think he would drown her. I am no expert though

I am not really sure about that, I have only ever had khaki campbells, cayugas, and one blue swedish duck. As long as there is enough females I don't think he would drown her. I am no expert though
ok then i’ll definitely get more females, and find a drake for my other boy to have as a companion

Back
Top Bottom