Bad rooster needs to go!

chickenology

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 3, 2010
Ohio
After a few weeks of challenges, I've had enough with my rooster. Today we were in the muddy run, and after our confrontation I came away with splashes of mud and poo covering my face and clothing. He doesn't understand that while the girls may be his to protect from predators, their health is my domain and I am allowed to pick them up as needed for such purposes.
barnie.gif
He has also flogged and jumped on both of my kids, (they are no longer allowed in the run with him), so this was not an isolated event.

I would like to butcher him, but he is a 7.5 month old Easter Egger, and doesn't seem to be very "meaty". I haven't butchered a chicken before, and don't know if this one would be "good eating" due to his age. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the meat would be worth the effort of butchering him? I have a crockpot...

A nice long soak in simmering broth is all you need to make a mean rooster turn out nice.
wink.png

At 7.5 months he's certainly not too old for eating, you'll want to let him "rest" in the refrigerator a few days before cooking, then do him slowly with low heat and some moisture added with broth or vegs. He won't look like a store-bought chicken with the blubbery breasts, but he'll have equal amounts of white & dark meat. And he'll taste great!

If it's too daunting to deal with both dispatching and processing your roo for the table, there's nothing wrong with giving him to someone else for them to eat, or just dispatching him and burying him for fertilizer. But if you've been wanting to learn how to process chickens, he'll be a good beginner project.

We have a rooster that is "protective", but we control him every few months. Yesterday was one such moment. Cornered him, caught him in the net. Held him upside down in my left hand (by his legs) for a good twenty minutes while I did various chores. Then I set him down in a deep mud puddle so he got wet. (It was a sunny day) I also gave him a good looking over, and he is doing really well.

Before you cull, try to establish dominance. If that doesn't work, chicken dinner! Many times people will show fear to the Roo. They will sense that and capitalize on it, especially over time. NEVER back down, ever. It is your farm, not his.

I tried standing up to a Dark Cornish and it just made him meaner. I read on the forum about makeing friends with a rooster with food. It works. At first he held back when I offered the girls treats, but now he is the first to take treats. Big difference.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice - cooking and behavior! Bad rooster is still around, giving me the evil eye. He has managed to behave himself somehow though, and I have not backed down to him. I carry my trusty mini rake in the pen with me now, and he eyeballs it as well. I have found that yes, I can bend over the feed barrel and fend off a rooster with my non-dominant backhand. These chickens are bringing out all the hidden talents in me!
wink.png
One of these days though, when it isn't pouring down rain, I am going to learn how to process a chicken. Either that or he will go to the processor with the first batch of meaties this summer.
droolin.gif

Chicken his age makes some fantastic broth/stock and chicken dumpling soup!

I've yet to meet a chicken who isn't good to eat.

Back
Top Bottom