bad rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Achickenwrangler#1, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    what to do,
    i have a young rooster that won't incorporate into the flock, they have 80 acres to roam, everyone else is getting along (but then I'm new to chickens so that may not stay the same) except for minor squabbles, no big deal, x this guy, I'll call him rocky, he's aabout 8 weeks old
    he picks fights with everybody, hens too, pulling out their tail feathers, I caged him for a while, then tried him out again, he was ok for 2 days, stayed on the fringes, till yesterday he got one of the roosters, chased him around, got him down and was methodically killing him when I pulled him off. Hung him upside down, when he then bit my husband,,,big mistake.
    logic over emotion, this guy isn't going to change..I've already tried the sweet talk and taming, the strong arm, and all that,problem is
    he is one unusual looking bird, by far. black with long cream spangled feathers, pearl and gold, small pea comb, long curling tail, black and blue with beatle green, big dark eyes and green legs. I'd like to see what kind of chicks he'd throw but he'll have to stay by himself again...locked away, or used as coyotee bait by my husband (in a cage of course)
    Yes, he has some game bird in him (don't know how much)It might not be worth having his offspring around with the same attitude, but who knows? I'm asking, who knows?
    Does anyone have any ideas? I'd like to give him a fighting chance....it's just that beauty may not be enough, so far he is quite afraid of me and hasn't offered an attack, so maybe he is smart after all.
    fabio, his clutch mate, gets along with all, and still manages to be a rooster, he's almost as pretty.

2. laughing man

laughing man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    westfield mass
    eat um?

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would probably keep him long enough to get some chicks. I would not let him free range with the others.

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    got any recipees?[​IMG]

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I wouldn't I've read the aggression is passed down to the chicks.

Eat him and find a nice rooster.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by