Baking with pullet eggs

Chickn chick 46

Songster
10 Years
May 22, 2009
I have been doing my baking with my pullet eggs and when I first started to use them my thought was that b/c of their size I would use 2 if recipe called for one, etc etc. But I thought no I'll just use one and see how it works. My RSL eggs would be considered med. size eggs, my BR egg is small, considerable smaller than the RSL. I was making pan cakes which calls for one egg so I used one of the BR eggs and the pancakes were so lofty and fluffy.
hu.gif
I used the same box mix when I made them too. I have noticed this with brownies, breads and cakes too.

Theres alot of science in cooking and I can't figure this one out. Why would using a smaller egg lead to these results? Makes me wonder why I wasted money on those extra large eggs at the store for so many years before I had chickens thinking they were better.

So lets hear it for pullet eggs! Any one able to shed some light on this for me??

Edited to add- I'm not sure this is where this post belong, so please move if necessary, thx
frow.gif

Last edited:
i haven't bought eggs in months about 4 i love my chickens eggs they taste so much better and they make everything else creamier and fluffier like you said one small egg has more flavor and will make a batch of pancakes fluff up so much more than store bought eggs its just amazing

I'm going to give my opinion on this one, but someone who is a better cook than I may have more info to impart!

the part of eggs that binds stuff together (makes it "cakeyer"is the yolk). the part that makes things fluffy is the white.
as most store eggs are "old" and have larger air cells from dehydration. It would hold up that your fresh although smaller egs have more white and thus more fluffieness.
a funny side note; I still have to use store bought eggs because we eat so many and everyone is molting, but because of this I have noticed that in the fry pan a tiny little silkie egg has the same size yolk as a store bought large egg!
now I know sonew123 went to chef school, so I would ask her opinion on this! I could just be totally full of it!
lol.png

I think you're on the right track, but I don't get it. My older hens which lay a nice size egg don't produce the same results in my baking as the smaller pullet eggs.

I don't know
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom