BALADI HEN anyone else have them?

Kitchenella

Songster
14 Years
Oct 11, 2008
Oak Park, Michigan
Hi, My only laying hen is supposed to be a Baladi. Anyone else familiar with this breed. So far we love her. Started laying about 4 weeks ago and this week layed 5 eggs. They are small but tasty!

This is Rex.
16975_proud_rex.jpg

Peggy

She has one white feather at the bottom of the wing. You can see it in the picture. I looked up Voewerk . It says they have black heads..Rex's head is dark brown . I'll try to get a better picture. The only thing google has on Baladi are some scholarly papers done at a Saudi Arabia university.

Peggy

My impression (?) is that at least in dogs and other domestic animals, Baladi/Balady is sort of equivalent to 'those feral ones we've got around here' in the Middle East (or Egypt anyhow - a friend in Egypt is the only person that I'd heard the term from before you posted). If that were the case then they might well not be in north america or europe.

There, that's the sum total of my knowledge of the subject
tongue.png

Welcome to BYC
smile.png

Pat

The term "Baladi" refers in the middle east to mix/cross breeds. I live in Israel. In Arabic, the word "Balad" means village or a small town. Baladi - from the village / of the village.

Hi, My only laying hen is supposed to be a Baladi. Anyone else familiar with this breed. So far we love her. Started laying about 4 weeks ago and this week layed 5 eggs. They are small but tasty!

This is Rex.
16975_proud_rex.jpg

Peggy
Sorry I don't know anything about you chicken other than she is pretty.
From Mabelvale, Arkansas.
welcome-byc.gif

The term "Baladi" refers in the middle east to mix/cross breeds. I live in Israel. In Arabic, the word "Balad" means village or a small town. Baladi - from the village / of the village.
Also to you,
welcome-byc.gif

your question just became super-relevant what with all the balagan right now with the braekel chicken.
your chicken looks very much like the pictures of braekel i've seen, with the white markings on the sides of the head.
who told you it's baladi? because a lot of the controversy right now centers around the question as to whether braekel is baladi. where did you buy the chicken?
anyway, enjoy her - she looks very cute!

Back
Top Bottom