Balance

I think it's 1 rooster for 11 hens. I would pick your favorite rooster and get rid of the other two either by rehoming or processing for the freezer.

Welcome! Three roosters will very likely be too much for only seven hens.
How old is everyone?
Even if the males get along with each other, they are going to make the hen's lives a misery.
Get more pullets/ hens? Or get rid of some or all the roosters.
Extra roos can be sold or given away, or go into the freezer. It's possible to have a rooster only flock, separate from the hens, if that's your choice.
Mary

What is a good ratio of hens to Roos? I have 10 in my flock, I think 3 are roosters.
What do you do with extra roosters?

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens(keeper too) and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

I eat all extra males.

If this is your first year, remove all of the roosters. Roosters are a crap shoot. They take considerable space and experience. Either give them away, sell them, or eat them yourself. If you can't process them, often times someone else can. Don't ask questions.

A darling rooster can go to a nightmare in an instant for an inexperienced person, a lot of people vastly underestimate the violence of an attack. If you have children under the age of 6, they are apt to be attacked first, and take it in the face or head.

Mrs K

If this is your first year, remove all of the roosters. Roosters are a crap shoot. They take considerable space and experience. Either give them away, sell them, or eat them yourself. If you can't process them, often times someone else can. Don't ask questions.

A darling rooster can go to a nightmare in an instant for an inexperienced person, a lot of people vastly underestimate the violence of an attack. If you have children under the age of 6, they are apt to be attacked first, and take it in the face or head.

Mrs K
OMG...I have become attached to them...

Back
Top Bottom