Bald bodied chicks

bchorse1

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Hi there, I'm new to chickens and bought 4 black australerps (sp????) 2mos old and 3 barred rocks 3mos old from a place that was less than accetable hygiene. The chicks/chickens seemed okay from what I could tell and it was kind of dark in their house. Anyway, I brought the poor things home and noticed they had bloody stools, did some research and began treating them for cocci the next day. I lost one barred rock and one black ast. We are on the 3rd day of corid and they all seem to be doing well. I'm keeping them under a heat lamp as it is chilly here in NY right now and they seem to need it. The other observation I've noticed is that the smaller black ast. bodies are almost completely bald when the take their wings away from their bodies, like their baby "hair" fell out before their feathers came in???
60040_img_2263.jpg

Hi and welcome!

I think their feathers will grow in just fine. One thing I noticed about darker chicks is that do look a bit bald as the fuzz starts to come out and the feathers start to come in, but that's a bit extreme.

I would look them over real good to make sure they don't have mites or lice, since their prior conditions weren't very santiary. And, with your care I'll bet they start lookin' good in no time!

Good luck with them!

I just noticed the same thing on one of my BAs. She's 4 weeks old and sitting with her wings away from her body. On closer look I can see the little pin feathers coming in in those "bald" areas. Hopefully yours are just getting new feathers, too, and it's not something medical. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom