Bald butt and swollen below vent.

I was reading through this old thread and knowing how we chicken people search a symptom thought I could help. So many posters expressed despair that there was no answer for the swollen rear abdomen problem. I have a definitive answer but it is not happy. I lost two hens to this problem: an 18 month barred rock and a 3 yr old araucauna. I had both hens treated by avian vets who explained the problem very clearly and provided answers. There are two very helpful posts in this thread: 1 on 12/29/11 by silkiemama? and the other - one of the last posts in the thread which pictures a necropsy.

The necropsy photos reveal the problem. These hens are probably all suffering from varying stages of egg yolk peritonitis and salpingitis. Sometimes, inexplicably, a hen will lay internally. If the egg remains in the abdomen the body will try to absorb the foreign but very often the body builds up fatty tissue to "protect" the organs from the foreign substance (an autoimmune response) which then can become infected over time. Unfortunately the owner rarely has any indication this is happening until so much infected tissue has built up around the organs that the hen can no longer lay, eat or sometimes even breathe or move. The swollen abdomen is probably a pocket of fluid that has formed around the infected mass. This was the case with my Barred Rock hen who looked exactly like the pictures. She was behaving other wise normally until I noticed the swelling. When I took her in, they aspirated and tested the fluid and did an x-ray. The diagnosis was probable egg-yolk peritonitis/salpingtis.

Sadly, as the poster said on 12/29/11, there is no cure other than culling or surgery, but the vet advised that the surgery was expensive and the hen still might not survive. I had one of my hens put down and the other died on the x-ray table when they anesthetized her. Both necropsies confirmed large masses of "cheesy substance" around the organs, as in the poster's pictures. in the case of my aracauna, limiting the air sacks and lungs. The vets (2 different practices) assured me that since the hens were acting fairly normally they had probably not been in any pain. The aracauna was having difficulty getting up on her roost bar, but that was probably shortness of breath due to constriction of the lungs/air sacs. The vets also said (and Gail Damerow confirms) that this is the most common cause of death among laying hens around or over 2 years old. There is no treatment and early diagnosis difficult. It has nothing to do with the keepers care, it is likely a result of modern breeding practices which have produced hens that lay at an abnormally high rate. Like little machines, they just burn out, and drop an egg internally.

One hopeful note: I now have a 4 yr old New Hampshire Red who may have the same problem, but I was alerted to it before the swelling developed. She was moving slowly, had and became egg bound. We knew this because she dropped a little egg yolk along with her poop. I took her to the vet who removed the egg, (do not try this yourself, you could kill her) put her on an antibiotic and a calcium supplement. She recovered and eventually went to laying fairly normally, but her eggs are very thin shelled and slightly off shape. I give her a calcium supplement every few days and if she ever lays a "rubber" shelled egg I put her back on antibiotics. She has lived another year after the problem started. The Salpinigitis will likely kill her eventually, but in the meantime she has had a great life possibly extended by care. Unfortunately I think once the swelling begins they are too far gone and it is better to cull. My other hens could not be saved. I am so sorry for all the posters going through this - it is heartbreaking to lose a hen. But in this case there is little to be done. Here are some good posts:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/12/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard.html
http://www.avianweb.com/eggyolkperitonitis.html

That is what I am dealing with also. Did you get a response? I must be completely computer illiterate because I can not see where anyone is getting a response.

This is our Buff Orpington,she's always had a larger area there but it's gotten even more swollen and red over the last few weeks. Acting completely normal otherwise, maybe just a little more quiet.

[Will they still lay eggs if they're internal layers?
In a hen with long term swollen area below the vent, who otherwise acts mostly normal, moves about normally and eats well, I think I would suspect an internal layer. I mention long term because if it is sudden onset and the hen is showing signs of discomfort or just sitting in the nest a lot then it may be she is egg bound.  These internal laying hens can go on for a long time but eventually it will kill them.

Edited to add:  Fluid builds up in the abdomen and if there gets to be a lot of it that can cause the bird to have difficulty breathing.

I have a 1.5yo salmon faverolle who has a swollen squishy bald abdomen. I read thru this entire thread & based on pictures & descriptions I think it is a cystic right oviduct. She's eating, drinking, not lethargic, not walking like a penguin, has a normal looking vent & still laying normally. I'm going to get a syringe tomorrow & try to drain it beacuse I'm worried about another girl pecking it & causing a bigger problem. I'll also post some pictures.

From www.farmsanctuary.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Animal-Care-Non-Cornish-Chicken.pdf
"Cystic Right Oviduct. Female chickens have two ovaries and oviducts, usually only the left one is functional. If both are functional, the right oviduct may be cystic. Large cysts are ballooned sacs containing clear watery fluid, which can range in size from a pea to a softball. A large cyst, which may contain a pint of fluid, causes the vital organs of the hen to become compressed and produces pathological conditions involving these organs. We can generally drain these cysts without surgery, which gives the hen a healthy existence."

I am going to have to put my chicken down today. I have been searching for the cause of this rear end swelling/baldness, lethargy and weird posture. I am so sad that reading through these posts I did not find the answer until too late. I did try to administer antibiotics about 5 days in but at this point she is so lethargic she is not drinking or eating much.

I believe at least for my chicken these symptoms are the symptoms of egg yolk peritonitis with sepsis. So if your chicken has this get her antibiotics immediately! Even with antibiotics the prognosis is not always good the body may be able to deal with the egg yolk it is the bacterial infection that kills them. Apparently you would use Duramyacin 10 also called Tetracycaline HCL that you can buy at the feed store. Since my chicken won't drink it I may try to squirt it down her throat before giving up, but she is probably too far gone at this point.

I first noticed a strange posture/waddle and then saw the very swollen bald rear end/ Here are photos of other chickens that look very similar to her condition (I did not want to disturb her by taking photos).

I have had two birds that look exactly like the picture on the left. A Copper Marans who has looked like that for two years now and is still kicking. She has no symptoms other than that. I also had a Mottled Java who looked like that for over a year. She died of something unrelated (broke her neck trying to fly to a high roost to escape a roo). I've always wondered what it was, but since they were both acting fine, I didn't do anything. After finding and reading through the thread I believe in my case it was hernias both times. I think if you see this, you need to look for additional issues. If your bird has no other symptoms, then carry on.... Both my birds lead/led normal lives other than this.

Brace yourselves!!!!!!!!!

This has been Pot Pie's rear end for almost a year now.
02-2.jpg

My brother has operated twice to drain it and on the second time we almost lost her so we just leave it alone now.

Hi, We have a hen that has a similar issue but smaller. What happened to this chicken? Do you think draining the swelling was helpful at first?

I have experienced similar conditions all ending in eventual death of the bird. The causes can be numerous but I have found most to be egg bound. Once infection sets in it is very difficult to control. I just lost a bird that has been struggling for the last 6 months dragging its posterior at ground level. Surprised the rest of your flock hasn't attacked her. Mine did and the end result wasn't pretty. Your bird most likely needs more help than you can render. Wishing you the best.

From what I've read and seen above, the swellings mentioned is quite bad. One of my girls had a poopy bottom so I washed her up and noticed she's a bit swelled up like this:

It doesn't seem to bother her, she walked around as normal, lays eggs (soft shell ones), runs around and plays and I wash her every week. Whenever I touch it it doesn't seems to bother her either but it is quite squishy and soft. It's usually visible like this when I wash her. When she's dry you can't see it. The only things I've noticed recently is a change to the clucking. More wheezing cluck when it's a low click. Loads ones are normal.

Any thoughts? Is this a normal thing or do I need to worry?

This sounds like ascites, which is an accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity. According to what I have read, it can be secondary to heart disease, liver disease, cancer, or egg peritonitis. I have had this in 3 hens now, all were older. You (or a vet) can remove the fluid with a needle and syringe, but it will eventually come back. It is more of a symptom of another disease process going on. All of mine have eventually died or been euthanized, though I do have one who is still alive 6 months later (we have removed the fluid a couple of times).

Back
Top Bottom