Bald Butt, Yellow Discharge from Vent

jimboradley

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 2, 2011
I adopted three hens from some neighbors that moved about a month ago. We noticed shortly after we got them that one hen had no butt feathers. This could have happened after we got her, or she could have come like this. Today, I noticed that she has a sort of yellowish crust near her vent. She's always been pretty skittish. Very hard to catch and pick up. Much more so than the cochin and the buff orpington. Also, I'm not sure, but I think she hasn't been laying. Any thoughts as to what's wrong with her? I've never seen the other hens pick on her. In fact, she seems to me like she's at the top of the pecking order.
P.S. These are my first chickens. I'm very new to this.

89845_img_0037.jpg

89845_img_0049.jpg

89845_img_0043.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if she had an egg break inside and it is the yolk coloring her discharge. If you can get your hands on her, I would try a warm bath in a dishpan or sink with just a little soapy water. It will help her skin heal some, and then you will be able to see whether she has any mites or lice. Usually I have no trouble picking up even my skittish chickens if I go in the coop after dark and pick them up off the roost. Maybe she could sleep in your laundry room or something til the morning. You can dry her with a hair dryer on low, or at least partly dry her.

If they do start picking on that bare bottom, you may be able to stop it with some BluKote spray, which is an antiseptic pus turns the skin sort of purple, which discourages them from pecking. (It turns everything it touches purple, and stays there.)

Best of luck with them! And welcome to BYC!

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Thanks for the reply. I went and got a closer look at her and one of the other hens and I think they have lice (based on the link you supplied, thanks). I got some poultry powder from the feed store yesterday and am planning to dust them today. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom