Bald Eagle Hunting Ducks?

BrookBottomFarm

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2014
Yesterday, as I walked outside, I was greeted as usual by the enthusiastic quacks of my 6 khaki campbell ducks as they hung out around the pond. When I called back to them, I was startled as a huge bald eagle took off from a tree at the edge of my yard! Having a duck house near the pond, I convinced the ducks to go inside early for the day with some treats, but now I'm paranoid to let them back out again! The usual routine is that I feed them and then shut them inside their house overnight to protect against the usual predators, and then in the morning, I let them outside for the day to hang out at the pond. I've never had an issue with predators in the daylight hours while I'm home, but this eagle had totally thrown me for a loop. Google says that yes, they will relentlessly hunt ducks, and now I'm worried. Does anyone have any advice for this? How do you deter a freaking eagle from hunting over your pond? (Small pond, only smaller minor fish/minnows in it, so I doubt he was after them.)

[Cross posted this in the Ducks forum, too.]

Not the greatest of photos as the eagle was faster than my phone camera skills, but you can see the eagle with it’s wings spread as it flies away past the pond.

Attachments

• eagle.jpg
    eagle.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 10
They absolutely hunt ducks. I don't own any, but my pond is always covered with wild ducks. I have seen juvenile Bald Eagles hunt them. Haven't seen a successful catch yet though. The ducks always dive under as the Eagles swoop down.

I have no idea how to deter Eagles. Hopefully someone will come along soon with some solid advice.

Not sure what you can do except cover your pond if it's possible. I have had bald eagles around here. There is a lake at the bottom of our hill with a lot of hammocks in it where the eagles nest. They don't bother my birds but my pens are all covered for protection from aerial predators. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom