Bald eagle nest around

Yeah I don't think I'm going to shoot or kill any bald eagle. Nature is nature, even if they put my chickens lives in danger they still are birds and hunting is what they do to survive. I have mixed feelings about having a bald eagle nest so close since they are beautiful animals, but I also have chickens so it is worrying. I'll let you all know how its going in an update at some point. I saw somewhere that fishing string helps so I would think this thicker blue string would be fine, but it is pretty weak.

Very true! In Alaska, they carry off tourists' small dogs All of the time. 😔

I have hawks over my coop/run so I'm hoping to find great info as well.
That is so sad.

I have a covered run but my flock is allowed to free range all day. Roosters help warn the flock of any predators near by. Also providing places for your flock to hide are great things to include for extra protection from areal attacks.

That is so sad.

I have a covered run but my flock is allowed to free range all day. Roosters help warn the flock of any predators near by. Also providing places for your flock to hide are great things to include for extra protection from areal attacks.
Very sad indeed.

I chose to go half covered, half exposed. I too have a wonderful couple of roos who warn the flock and they run to hide.
I would rather learn to adapt with the environment than keep them locked up too much.
This experience has made me learn more about Cooper's hawks. Pretty neat.
I see there are quite a few on here with flying predator concerns so im here to glean from these types of threads.

We have eagles and hawks here too. I see the eagles overhead quite often but haven't lost any yet...Hawk has gotten one though. If you free range you take a risk and I don't think its the predators fault if they kill one of my babies that is how they survive. I don't let them out now unless I watch them. It's on me not the hawk. I hang shiny pans, CD disks in the trees and have big plastic owls.

Migratory Bird Treaty Act

A reminder...

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act prohibits the taking, killing, capturing, transporting, harboring of the birds or hatching eggs, that which are Native to the United States of America. All are protected by state and federal agencies.

https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

Any threads or posts that mention taking, killing, capturing, transporting, or harboring of the birds or hatching eggs will be closed and/or posts deleted.

Thank you for your understanding.

-BYC Staff

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom