Bald Eagle Predation

Has anyone lost adult turkeys (Narragansett) to aerial predators? We lost a few hens, and now we lost our last two - a tom and our largest hen. Not sure if the predators were aerial, but there were no feathers or remains at all, so I'm assuming aerial. We do have eagles, hawks and owls. Is this a "duh" moment? I though the tom especially was too large!

CallMeBird wrote: Has anyone lost adult turkeys (Narragansett) to aerial predators? We lost a few hens, and now we lost our last two - a tom and our largest hen. Not sure if the predators were aerial, but there were no feathers or remains at all, so I'm assuming aerial. We do have eagles, hawks and owls. Is this a "duh" moment? I though the tom especially was too large!

Sorry for the loss of your turks.

Welcome to BYC.

Don't know what part of the world you're in, but no remains at all sounds like a coyote, to me. Red Foxes can carry off 7lb. jennies and not leave so much as a feather. Coyotes could probably haul of a couple of adults.

Sorry about your roo and happy to hear everyone else is mending well. I live in the Pacific Northwest and I have 2 sets of nesting Bald Eagles in the area and I know they are back in town. I have a lake in front of my house and a lake behind my house and a duck pond on the property. Very majestic birds, but I have seen them eating road kill on train tracks and get run over themselves. I keep a spoting scope on 1 of the couples and watch them raise 2 or 3 kids. They leave my area alone, but I am thinking it is only because they don't know about the 'buffet' so to speak. I watch them land in a nearby field and they are very big birds. It sounds like you are doing everything you can and by giving them multiple hiding places. You have a better chance of keeping your animals alive. The crows are always quick to alert any action from birds of prey in my area. Good luck!

Check out this link from the lake in front of my house. These birds are pretty awesome!

http://10weatherpics.blogspot.com/2009/03/eagle-combat-over-lake-tapps.html

They may be just "roaming" it is breeding season.
And the hens may be setting. Coyotes will carry off what they kill usually but some feathers usually remain. Dont overlook the 2 legged predators.Quote:
Has anyone lost adult turkeys (Narragansett) to aerial predators? We lost a few hens, and now we lost our last two - a tom and our largest hen. Not sure if the predators were aerial, but there were no feathers or remains at all, so I'm assuming aerial. We do have eagles, hawks and owls. Is this a "duh" moment? I though the tom especially was too large!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom