Bald Eagle Predation

Some options:
http://www.biconet.com/birds.html

The one bird that Eagles fear is the Great Horned Owl. GHOs have been known to run Bald Eagles off their nests. A realistic GHO decoy (one with a moving head) that you move from day-to day, may help until you get covered runs built. Look at the "Prowler Owl" or 'Rotating Owl" or even the inflatable one. A couple of them rotated out and around and moved may work for awhile.

Quote:
You have a great point about the parents feeding eaglets. I need to read up on their nesting habits. I would be so happy if the carnage stops when nesting season is over. We've had day range chickens here for 11 years and this is the first eagle problem. I know there is at least one juvenile bird flying around because hasn't developed any white feathers yet.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ooooh, thank you! I've never seen the Prowler Owl before. That looks like a great possibility. I wonder if it will scare the chickens too! We have a decoy owl but it does not have the moving head. And its doing no good sitting on a shelf in the garage, lol!

This biconet website is great. Bookmarking it now!

Wow, that prowler owl looks great and is great if you're not able to relocate the owl that often. I wonder if it really works? I know it would scare me for a second or two. They aren't cheap.

ETA: There was a video of a nesting Cooper's hawk screaming at a fake owl all day long on Youtube. I don't know if the eagles will do that to it or attack it, too.

Last edited:
We've had a bald eagle's nest across the street from us for the past 2 years and lots of owls, turkey vultures and hawks to round out the overhead dangers. We couldn't have chickens without an overhead fence. They sell 6' high welded wire fencing at our local tractor supply--we used this for the sides and top so we can stand up in the run without hunching too much, with hardware cloth along the bottom 2' and buried. Has worked out well. That must have been terrifying for both you and your birds to come that close to a swooping predator! Good luck and hope everything's ok!

I have bald eagles here every winter and have never had an issue with them. Last year one morning I counted 30 of them in the fields below my house by the lake.

Quote:
This is exactly why I have a covered run. We have eagles and osprey here. Someone posted how those birds only like to eat fish. However I have seen the eagles swoop down and snatch up non fish animals & carry away small birds and I watched an osprey catch a field mouse in our yard recently, it wasn't giving it a lift either. I don't take chances. If I'm not with the chicks they are inside the covered run. 2x4 welded wire across the top as I'm not messing with netting to try and protect my chicks from these birds.

Quote:
I agree that locking up the birds is about the only thing I can really do, but its gonna take a little time (and a willing husband) to get additional and larger runs built. We have spent a lot of time and money on coops and fencing due to coyote and loose dogs over the years and hubby has had enough:(

I'm in awe of the eagles and was admiring the darn thing even as it was hunting my birds. I had never seen an eagle flying free before, so this has been pretty amazing. To be that close to the strength and power of those amazing wings...When I was saving my duck, I kept thinking, "this is our national bird.I can't harm it!" and wondered what sort of thing I COULD DO to get it to leave. (I was also concerned that the eagle might turn on ME!) Thank you for your counsel.

I had an eagle swoop down above my head about 20 feet as it was being chased by an osprey in our backyard. That was a frightening experience. It happened before we started our chicken adventure and was another reason I went with a covered run. They are both beautiful and powerful birds.

Quote:
The welded wire for roofing is a good idea. I was thinking about flight cage mesh, but the wire makes me feel safer. My birds are terrified, of course, and I was probably too brave when saving the duck. I had second thoughts when I realized how close I was to the eagle... thanks for the info!
smile.png

bobbieschicks wrote:

This is exactly why I have a covered run. We have eagles and osprey here. Someone posted how those birds only like to eat fish. However I have seen the eagles swoop down and snatch up non fish animals & carry away small birds and I watched an osprey catch a field mouse in our yard recently, it wasn't giving it a lift either. I don't take chances. If I'm not with the chicks they are inside the covered run. 2x4 welded wire across the top as I'm not messing with netting to try and protect my chicks from these birds.

I think I read the same misinformation. Eagles supposedly live by the ocean and eat fish, lol! And I was reminded that ranchers lose plenty of lambs and calves to eagles. You are the second person to mention wire across the roof instead of netting, and I agree.

bobbieschicks wrote:

I had an eagle swoop down above my head about 20 feet as it was being chased by an osprey in our backyard. That was a frightening experience.

YIKES!
ep.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom