Bald Frizzle Cochin Chick ?

rvbbz92

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 16, 2010
We have several frizzled cochins that are 5 weeks old and they are going bald. We ordered them from Mcmurry not realizing they breed frizzle to frizzle. If I would have known that I would not have ordered them. Some are very bald, some are only half bald. My question is will this get better. Should I separate them from the others or is this as good as it will ever be and culling is the only answer.

welcome-byc.gif

I would give them some time. Before culling you may want to offer them up for free. They would still be suitable breeding stock for anyone trying to get frizzles. If bred to a smooth bird they will produce 100% frizzles since they are "frazzles" (double dose of frizzle).

It's too early to tell if you have frazzles or frizzles. they may just be getting their big bird feathers in. I would give it about 3 months or so. Also, a frazzled roo will produce 100% frizzle chicks when breed to a smooth feathered hen. For someone who loves frizzles, he may be wanted. I have a rescue frazzle and he is pitifully ugly but makes perfect little frizzle babies which are quite popular around here.

Thanks for the good advice, I never thought of that alternative. I may have a feather plucking issue going on too. Today I noticed some of the polish they were mixed with are getting there crest plucked! So I have divided everyone up into three different brooders and give salt water for a day. Very frustrated but have to look at it as a learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom