bald head?

I blame mine on rooster issues because mine get over bred (too many roosters, not enough hens) but unless your Guinea rooster is mating with them then it's probably mites or a molt. How old is your chicken?

I also have a hen with missing head feathers. I have no rooster and I don't suspect mites, but haven't been able to catch her to check thoroughly. I don't think it's a molt since they are only 9 months old. I also have two Easter Eggers with missing beard feathers. I've seen one of the hens picking at one of the EE's beard and the other's head. So I guess I have a feather picker? Here are some pictures.

I'm not sure, could indeed be a feather-picker in your flock. But I'm no expert. I see that you have a barred rock that's missing her head feathers, barred rock is my rudest bred although they're not too bad. Maybe it's the other BR picking at her, but who knows.

Mine also started the feather loss around 9 months I believe, coincidence? Maybe, but I don't know. Mine grew the feathers back but now have bald backs, due to my roosters.

They are actually Cuckoo Marans, not Barred Rocks, although they look really similar. I've only the other Cuckoo doing the feather picking, so I'm blaming it all on her. Although, the one missing head feathers looks like she's losing leg feathers too. Maybe a mini-molt?

Wow the look exactly like barred rocks..except now i see the dark legs, br's have yellow. But about the feather picking, I have no idea. I'm sorry

Back
Top Bottom