Bald spot, dry, flake skin, getting worse and spreading across the hens

ChickenMama Summer

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2024
tl;dr Trying to figure out what this is
IMG_4625.png

Backstory: In early winter last year, my two adopted girls started what I thought was molting, but they only seemed to lose feathers between their back and tail area.

Here:
Older girls around Jan-Feb (started maybe Nov or Dec)
IMG_8433.jpg
IMG_8437.jpg

new girl today
IMG_4620.png

Her on Feb 14
View recent photos.jpeg

Originally adopted 2 hens 2 roosters, over the spring/summer of last year. So I don't know their full backstory.

They didn't lose their feathers at exactly the same time. It did seem a bit dry/flaky from the beginning so I kept an eye on it. It never expanded, or bald spots elsewhere, so I've just been playing wait-and-see.
The feathers eventually started coming back in, slowly so I mostly put it out of my mind. They never fully feathered back out, however, and one has actually reversed. I think she may look worse now or as bad when it first showed up.

There were a couple of things going on when it first started in the older girls. They had been moved a few months (3 or 4) prior from the old coop to the new coop we built. Though they spent most of their time free-range in the same areas. We had begun introducing the new chicks. However, I think the major introductions started after the big girls started losing feathers.

It is now spreading to the new girls. For maybe a month or so. So while one of the bigger girls has at least gotten some feathers back, the other one is looking as bad or worse AND now one of my new, the littlest has it the worst.

It’s a larger area on her and goes further up her back.

The new hens are around 31 weeks old.

They have a regular chicken feed diet, free range most of the time and eat from around the property, and I give them worms and chicken scratch for snacks. As it warms up I’ll cut the chicken scratch back out again.

Don’t have any problems with overt aggression. There’s some of the typical chasing or light pecks from the big girls when I throw snacks but no major bullying, pulling feathers, pecking, etc.

The new run has straw that gets replaced or added to every once in a while. The new coop has sand that has some DE, First Saturday Lime, and a little Sweet PDZ mixed in. I’ve sprinkled some of the DE & FSL in all the corners, a little in the nesting boxes. But they aren’t rolling around in the coop or nesting boxes so I don’t think it’s from anything from in there.

I checked the littlest's vent, neck, and underwing areas and they all seem to be normal. At least on the little girl I’ve pictured here. I haven't checked the others. I never find a bunch of loose feathers in the coop or nesting boxes. Only this upper back area seems irritated and missing feathers. I’m almost wondering if it’s the rooster when he mounts them because I have seen feathers come off more than once when he does? He’s a pretty big guy. Or maybe it’s some kind of infection? Maybe some nutritional deficiency? I did give them more worms cause I read protein helps during molting. Though I haven't given them much the last couple months.

I think I should add that the rooster was looking pretty scruffy around the same time the older hens started looking scruffy. So even though it was late, it seemed like molting. Like them, he also took a while to start looking good. He, however, has fully recovered and looks fully feathered with a lovely shine.

Here's him from the side and his upper back also from mid-Feb.
IMG_8440.jpg
IMG_8441.jpg

Any thoughts here would be super helpful!

Ty!

Quick update. After realizing it might be my rooster at the end of my post last night, I checked another one of the new girls today, his favorite, and she's got similar bald spots but also on her sides. After researching that specifically, I'm even more convinced this is the likely cause. Considering there hasn't been any blood, I'm not going to isolate him, just yet.

I found a few references to hen saddles and just bought some from @OneMountainAcres after seeing a recommendation on this forum.

Once those arrive and we've had some time to try them out, I'll update this post if their feathers start to recover!

You're probably right that it's your rooster. He is a big guy! He may have initially looked scruffy because of the moult that most chickens deal with.
If you still have two roosters, one roo will dominance mount the other to maintain a pecking order. Especially if you originally had only the two hens and two roosters, there will be bald spots from over-breeding. You probably have enough hens now to go around for the pair of boys at this point, and it sounds like you have a plan for prevention in the future. Welcome to BYC!

You're probably right that it's your rooster. He is a big guy! He may have initially looked scruffy because of the moult that most chickens deal with.
If you still have two roosters, one roo will dominance mount the other to maintain a pecking order. Especially if you originally had only the two hens and two roosters, there will be bald spots from over-breeding. You probably have enough hens now to go around for the pair of boys at this point, and it sounds like you have a plan for prevention in the future. Welcome to BYC!
Thanks! It's good to be here, and I'm glad to hear I might be on the right path!
We're actually down to 1 rooster. The other was quite aggressive with the new chicks, not to mention the dominance issues between the two. This guy is quite big and I've seen more than one feather lost as a result. Thanks again!

Quick update. After realizing it might be my rooster at the end of my post last night, I checked another one of the new girls today, his favorite, and she's got similar bald spots but also on her sides. After researching that specifically, I'm even more convinced this is the likely cause. Considering there hasn't been any blood, I'm not going to isolate him, just yet.

I found a few references to hen saddles and just bought some from @OneMountainAcres after seeing a recommendation on this forum.

Once those arrive and we've had some time to try them out, I'll update this post if their feathers start to recover!

Thank you for ordering! I'll have them in the mail tomorrow. By the time I get home today, the mail man will have already passed us by.

Back
Top Bottom