Bald spot on ducklings back!

Jdawn

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2023
Hi! I’ve tried searching all other threads but haven’t been able to find an answer yet. My duckling has a spot on her back it was not like this this morning. She’s in there with her sister and two goslings. I haven’t seen anyone else picking on her but herself biting at it.

My friend said there is an ointment I can get that’s bitter that will help deter her from biting herself.

Any advice would be helpful!

Attachments

• 99C292C4-EC5C-4250-B020-F41EE03A3C48.jpeg
    99C292C4-EC5C-4250-B020-F41EE03A3C48.jpeg
    519.8 KB · Views: 28
Hi @Jdawn

I doubt that bitter aloes or similar (used to stop children biting their nails) will work. I dont know of any cream for a duck but perhaps others will join in on that. However I think you need to look at why she is biting herself, and if she is. Can you partition her off in a compartment in the brooder? I cant think that she has mites, but do check her out. Maybe she is stressed by goslings (guess only)

I can't think of anything else. I hope someone else can!

Hi @Jdawn

I doubt that bitter aloes or similar (used to stop children biting their nails) will work. I dont know of any cream for a duck but perhaps others will join in on that. However I think you need to look at why she is biting herself, and if she is. Can you partition her off in a compartment in the brooder? I cant think that she has mites, but do check her out. Maybe she is stressed by goslings (guess only)

I can't think of anything else. I hope someone else can!
Thank you for your input! I have separated her because I saw the other duck trying to nibble at the area. I’ll keep her separated until she heals.

Back
Top Bottom