Bald spot!

Scampbeds

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2018
Have hen with a spot on one wing where the feathers are missing right down to the pink skin. Just keep putting blue stuff on it, but it doesn't get any better or any worse. They tend to pick on each other, but can't catch anyone picking on her specifically or that spot. Other than that spot she is just as big and healthy as the rest.

Have hen with a spot on one wing where the feathers are missing right down to the pink skin. Just keep putting blue stuff on it, but it doesn't get any better or any worse. They tend to pick on each other, but can't catch anyone picking on her specifically or that spot. Other than that spot she is just as big and healthy as the rest.
Welcome To BYC!
Can you post some photos?
Do you have a rooster?
How much space do you have in your coop/run (sq ft)
What type of food/treats do you feed?

Missing feathers on the wing can be from picking or sometimes rooster damage.
Watch your girls at roosting time to see if anyone is plucking the feathers during that time.
If she is getting in new growth, then the others may be plucking and eating them (?)

Feather picking can be due to overcrowding, too little protein (less than 16%) in the feed, and boredom from not getting outside to free range. It can become a habit and spread to other birds. Make sure they are getting a balanced chicken feed, either layer or all flock plus oyster shell on the side, and limit any treats. Some use a bad tasting ointment such as Vicks or BagBalm, or even pinetar which is very messy, to help prevent pecking. Spend some time to find out who is pecking.

6 chicks in a 50sq ft coop with a hundred ft of run.
No roosters
I have purchased some new feed that has oyster shell in it, will have to check out closer the amt of protein. Scratch and oil sunflower seeds for treats. Free range is not an option, the hawks around here carry off small dogs and too many stray dogs. The thing that bothers me is never seeing any new growth. The feathers around the spot are darker because of the blue stuff I put on it, which last three to four days before it starts to wear off.
IMG_0576.JPG

It's hard to tell, but it looks like the feathers are worn off, so the shaft is still intact in the skin. Can you take a look at her?
If the shaft is still intact then she won't regrow those feathers until she molts. You don't mention how old she is or how long you've had her, but if she is fairly young, then she may not molt until next fall.

Missing feathers on the wings like that I associate with being mounted. Even if you don't have a rooster, have you notice if there is a dominant hen that is mounting her?

I would still check her over for lice/mites too, look around the vent, under the wings, etc.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Back
Top Bottom