1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bald Spots in down on Pekin ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lindylu02, Jun 9, 2016.

1. lindylu02

lindylu02 New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    We acquired 9 Pekin ducklings 6 days old. The smallest one had bald spots in the down. I don't know what's wrong. Can anyone help me. Thank you for reading.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @lindylu02

Hi,

Where are the bald spots? How does the skin look? It may be within the range of normal, or not - at some point, uploading a photo would be good. I seem to recall that new members must post x amount of times before they can upload.....

So if you can describe where the bald spots are and if it looks like new feathers are coming in. I remember my Runners would get very thin spots just before adult feathers started coming in.

But some ducklings can pick on others, or heat lamps can be too close. there is a sticky, Raising Ducklings, that I recommend.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Also as the down is being replaced with feathers they can start looking rather bald.
    Bathing daily in a pool will get their oil glands working and you will have pretty ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by