bald spots on chickens

nannie

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
mineral virginia
my hens are about 2 years old 5 of them have bald spots on their backs down next to their tail 1 of my easter egger also has hair loss on face and neck .what could this be? how should I treat this.should I sperate from rest of flock?

There could several reasons. Are they molting? One of my girls is molting right now, and she has a lot of pin feathers. Do you have a rooster? If so the rooster could be picking on the other chicken. Your chickens could also have mites or lice. Just lift up a few of their feathers and blow some air, if you see black things running, you should treat it. Hope I helped!

New to chickens and I have some concerns. I have 7 chickens that are 6 weeks old. All are hens. I noticed today that some of the Barred Plymouth Rocks have bald spots around the side of their face and near their eyes. Is this possibly a pecking problem? We have no roosters. They are in a small run during the warmer part of the day where they have the ability to dust themselves. Could this be possibly from their feeder - we have the 8 hole chicken feeder? Could they be rubbing their faces against the plastic when feeding? Or is this a medical issue. We did have one Plymouth Rock die yesterday. She semed perfectly fine and a couple hours later she was gone. Worried about these girls. I have pictures posted for you to see.

They could be pecking each other, I'd check for mites for sure. One of our more experienced chicken owners will certainly have a better idea. Good luck, so sorry for the one you lost.

I checked for mites but I don't see any. I do see them scratching their face sometimes, but not often. Getting a dust bath container together for them now. Also purchased a different feeder. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom