Balding hens

Romoshka

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 15, 2012
Clemson, SC
I have 14 black Australorp hen that are contained in a cage run. They were purchased as "about 1 year old" 14 months ago. 2 have developed a issue recently: they are balding. The feathers on their heads are receding. There is no other signs or symptoms of illness. They are feed a free access of laying mash crumbles and a dish of crushed oyster shell is maintained in the run. My experience spans 14 months so I am green-horn chicken keeper so looking for some advice/help.

Romoshka

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 15, 2012
Clemson, SC
No, they are not with a rooster. These girls are my layers. They have roomy housing and a caged run. I know what the rooster can do as the 3 hens that are rooming with the rooster must wear saddles as he is very aggressive. I'm wondering if age or some nutritional issues are to blame - still researching but yet I find nothing. Hoping someone with more experience here can shed some light on the issue...if it really is an issue.

Cknldy

Songster
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012
Appalachian mtns
Molting perhaps. Hobby Farms Chicken magazine had an article on it the fall that said they start molting from the head/ neck first. Some do, some don't but if there are no other issues that would be my guess. Hope it helps.

nxd10

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
I have two like this - Barred rocks. The feathers started receding after they were two years old. Part of it's plucking but I notice all my older hens have feathers receding starting at the crest. One is completely bald. No signs of mites. I think it's age. They are almost done laying and have new pullets coming up to replace them.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom