Balloon egg

Apr 14, 2018
Massachusetts
0751C2A1-CE29-409E-B414-824CBDC7F96B.jpeg
Good morning, I recently posted a question on another section regarding my chicken that was getting thin and had the runs, and not eating as much as usual. I thought perhaps she an impacted crop, which always has something in it . I gave her a stool softener, soaked her butt in epsom salt, massaged her crop.

But this morning I found this balloon egg under her roost. On and off all summer she has been laying a few eggs that look like this .Some didn’t even have a shell. I feed high-quality laying pellets, I also offer oyster shell, and granite Grit. Is there something else I should be doing? She is the only chicken that seems to have this issue. I have 5, 30 weeek old pullets, and only three have laid eggs. (And Easter egg chicken laid a perfect blue egg once. ... never again )
Karen
0751C2A1-CE29-409E-B414-824CBDC7F96B.jpeg

That looks like softshell egg, when it has the membrane of the egg but no shell
it happens normally when the hens haven't got enough oyster shell or grit
...but if you do feed them this like you said there shouldn't be a problem:idunno

are you sure she is actually eating it, because the other hens may be eating more than their share...?:rolleyes:;)

Thank you for replying.
It’s ironic that I had a camera in there and just took it out a few weeks ago. I’ll put it back. But I know in the summer she did eat. She was enormous. She’s thinner now. I have her in a crate and I’ll see if I can entice her to eat something high in calcium. And throw some shell in there for her.
This was her in the summer. You can see she was happy and chubby.

Attachments

• 514E5910-C6A6-4776-8430-8FE3EB038736.jpeg
    514E5910-C6A6-4776-8430-8FE3EB038736.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Can you crush up a Tums in yogurt and offer it to her? Most chickens love yogurt.
Have you had a fecal float done to rule out a parasite load causing her weight loss? There are other things that will cause weight loss in a bird but ruling out internal parasites is a pretty easy place to start.

Back
Top Bottom