Banana everyday

May 9, 2020
I give my flock of 12 chickens 2 bananas cut into small pieces everyday. Is this okay??? I have 4 leghorns with pasty feathers near butt. I was wondering if banana would cause this.

I'd cut down to one banana, every so often, like once or twice a week, since they have a lot of sugar and carbs and it isn't good for them to have so much. I don't know if they cause pasty butt.

Try whole carrots, large ones, my gang go bananas (haha pun intended) for them. They peck away at them, giving them something to do. Today I also tried Acorn Squash, seems they like that also.

Note: get a bag of crushed oyster shell for your gang, gives them calcium and my gang like picking through the crushed shells.

Two bananas for 12 chickens isn't too bad. It is better than nothing. I grow bananas and sometimes throw entire stalks of bananas down they eat over the course of a day. They do have sugar but if mixed with a good feed, it can do wonders for the digestive tract. It is a great supplement contains all amino acids, nutrients, fiber, etc. There was a time for a while when i started out that i only had bananas and corn to feed and it was enough.

Maybe trim the feathers to clear up their pasty butt? My chickens get this too and it is from other food that causes it too.

I give my flock of 12 chickens 2 bananas cut into small pieces everyday. Is this okay??? I have 4 leghorns with pasty feathers near butt. I was wondering if banana would cause this.
I don't know if banana would cause this, but it's pretty easy to check:
Stop feeding banana, clean up those butts, and see if they stay clean.
Then start feeding banana again, and see if the butts still stay clean.

Two bananas for 12 chickens isn't too bad. It is better than nothing. I grow bananas and sometimes throw entire stalks of bananas down they eat over the course of a day. They do have sugar but if mixed with a good feed, it can do wonders for the digestive tract. It is a great supplement contains all amino acids, nutrients, fiber, etc. There was a time for a while when i started out that i only had bananas and corn to feed and it was enough.

Maybe trim the feathers to clear up their pasty butt? My chickens get this too and it is from other food that causes it too.
I feed them Kalmbach brand pellets. They have access to the food all day. I also have
Oyster shells available to them. Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom