Banana's????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by justusnak, Nov 20, 2008.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I was able to get a LARGE bag of bananas, from our local freecycle. I plan to dehydrate some....freeze some for banana nut bread...but im talking LOTS of bananas. Can the chickens eat them? And if so....how many is too many? Can they have the peelings too??

2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    I hope so, cause my neighbor brought over a big load of bananas he just got for free and I've been feeding them to the chickens! They LOVE them!!! Gee...I hope they're okay...no ones keeled over...I guess that's a good sign?! [​IMG]

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Yes, they are an excellent source of potassium and energy for chickens. Especially your roosters. [​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

So, peelings and all?? Maybe I can dangle a few from the ceiling? I bet they would love that as well....if the peelings are ok.

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Yep, peel and all. [​IMG]

6. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    mine won't eat the peels, fussy little things

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh, thats great news! Tomorrow, my babies are getting TREATS!! I cant waite to see how they like em. Thanks everyone.

8. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Bananas are a favorite treat, although mine did not like the peels. I chopped the bananas up into little bites and throw them in the treat tray and its utter chaos! Butts up![​IMG]

Ma

9. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I just gave mine some for the first time this evening. They enjoyed them. DeeJay [​IMG]

10. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    I grow bananas on my farm here. They are picked green and "hung" until they begin to ripen. Unfortunately, it then becomes a race between us and the mynahs & chuckars to see who will get to eat them first.

Youʻre right about rind and all. As they turn yellow, the birds jump on the bunches and start pecking right thru the skins to eat the fruit. As the fruit rots, it attracts bugs which just makes the birdies even more happy.

Ah, the "Circle of Life".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by