bananas

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by toripeeps, Jul 18, 2011.

1. toripeeps

toripeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I see where you can feed them melons, grapes but what about bananas and apples, corn etc. Can they eat just about anything?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Yes, yes, and yes. Pretty much anything people could eat.

Imp

3. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    I feed mine bananas but I peel them.I don't know if you have to,just habit I guess.They seem to love them

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Our treats chart:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Which is no doubt not a complete list.

Fruit seeds, including apple, often have toxins in them, I read recently, after giving them a bunch of apple scraps from prepping apples -- which they loved, and were not visibly harmed by. I guess after this I'll try to pick most of the seeds out; I'm not depriving them of apple trimmings.

5. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    My chickens like almost everything. They really like squash ground up in the food processor with yogurt mixed in. And they seem to really love anything with seeds, ie: melons, tomatoes, cucumbers... And they do like really soft apples and pears that have fallen from the trees and are not fit for human consumption.....

6. HenCrazyMom

HenCrazyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Merrifield, MN
    My girls love bananas but I peel them. I read somewhere that peels are not good for them. They also love grapes, watermelon, apples minus the seeds, potato peelings that are not green.

7. 5chicks4us

5chicks4us Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    I gave my girls a peeled banana today that my four year old decided he didn't want to eat. [​IMG] They were so excited that I barely had the plate on the ground and they were chowing down.

8. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Mine love bananas. They prefer kale over collard greens though. LOVE thier yogurt too. Grapes too. Try freezing the grapes for a treat on a hot day....that was recommended on here by someone, and it works good.

Love the treat list form here too. Made my notes next to each trial. That way I could have it handy if ever in question:)

9. ruffedgrouse

ruffedgrouse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Pennsylvania
    I will have to give mine bananas to see how they like them![​IMG]

10. SanctusPullus

SanctusPullus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    Bananas don't last very long in my house anymore. I go to the store and get a bunch and the next morning when I go to eat one they've mysteriously all disappeared...

"Hey, kiddo#1, did you eat the last banana?"

"No."

"Hey, kiddo #2, did you eat any bananas?"

"Yuck..."

I then look out the window to see the chickens all wiping their beaks on the ground.

I swear they must have a key to the back door or something...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by