Banding buttons?

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
Anyone band their buttons? I was thinking about banding any that I had a hard time sexing or telling apart from others (ie, the whites, lol). I plan to keep in pairs, but, I have such a terrible memory that it would be easier for me to put a band on one of each pair and then just make a note on the cage or something. Any advice on it? Can you do it once they're full grown, or only as they're growing? Thanks guys.
smile.png

Hrmm, I couldn't really find size 2 bands that weren't too expensive... Maybe I'm just being a doof. If I can't use bands, are there any other methods that don't hurt them, but are easy to spot/identify?

Last edited:
Iv'e never banded a button but i've banded my coturnix, I like to band them as young adults because then I dont have to worry about the band bothering them any.

I've used zipties, AND the bendable metal that comes with cuttlebones from walmart lol. I cut them to shape and just delicately bend them around the coturnixs legs. I will here in a few days be banding day old chicks, and i'll probably use colored bread ties. I've used zipties and there just too much of a hassle to babysit so that no birds get hurt by them.

And i refuse to buy real leg bands....soo pricey! LOL!

Lol. Thank you. I thought about using bread ties, but I wasn't sure if it would scratch their legs up or anything. That's probably what I'll go with then, that'll make my life easier (and cheaper, lol).

Quote:
you're very welcome, and if you worry about it scratching up their legs you could put a tough tape (one that iwll take being slightly wet every now and then) around the bread tie before you put it on the bird, but ofcourse only put enough on that the tie is still bendable
smile.png

tape or a bandaid (sticky part ofcourse) wrapped around it should keep it nice and soft
smile.png

if someone had the pacience colored yarn would work too LOL!

Back
Top Bottom