Banding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nes, Jun 29, 2011.

1. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    When should I band my BPR chicks? I'm thinking the ladies are going to be a little hard to tell apart [​IMG]

I don't know a thing about banding or how to do it...

Any suggestions on banding brands for a small flock? We're not planning on having more then a dozen layers at any one time (that would even be stretching it) so different colours would be better then numbers.

2. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:I used Zip Ties!
    I got a pack at walmart that has a 4 different colors in it for my hens and I got just plain black for my roosters! I have 2 silver sebright hens, 2 serama hens and 2 Jersey Giant hens that all look the same so I use neon pink for one and neon orange for the other!
    I also sold a serama roo at a swap 2 weeks ago and I seen an add on craigslist asking for information on a serama rooster who was sold at a swap with a black zip tie, the woman bought a serama rooster from someone who said they bought it at a swap and she wanted to know his age and more info on the serama breed. so for me it was good for IDing also (although that was probably a once in a lifetime thing)

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I had the same problem with my 6 RIRs. At 12 weeks old, I bought a box of 25 white numbered plastic bandettes and colored them with sharpies, now I can identify the trouble makers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by