Bantam Ameraucana temperment

D Bar J Acres

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 22, 2007
Hi, I'm deciding what show quality bantam breed to go with and wondering how the bantam Ameraucanas are temperment wise. I've had EEs and they are FLIGHTY! I really like muffed/bearded birds and want a clean legged so really narrow choices. Bantam Ameraucanas are definately gorgeous! It seems from what I've seen, Ameraucanas can go either way. But haven't seen anything specifically on bantams. Is there one color that's calmer than another or a certain line? I'll need to ship eggs. Thanks!

I just wanted to chime in and say that I (and I think a lot of other people) find the standard ee's to be very friendly. We have a flock of 14 and 4 of the 5 ee's are the most friendly of all of them. Did you handle them all as chicks? I would love bantam ameraucanas so I will subscribe to this post to find out what others think. All those little tiny blue eggs would be awesome!

Yes, I handled them as youngsters and we couldn't get w/in 30 ft of them by the time they were 2 mos. old. This last batch I got from Meyers, pretty birds but as 3 day old chicks they were actually picking each others eyelids off and just freaky little chicks (the other breed with them was fine). Not a pleasant experience this past spring! The other ones I had from another hatchery 2 yrs. ago were flighty too but not as bad.

Bantam Ameraucanas are sweet hearts I've had them going on a year now...they are great. You need to make sure you handle your roosters I have had one out of 6 roosters be mean! But they are absolutely great. they are going to be my only breed I focus on and I'm going into two or three more varieties. They are my favorite bird I've ever had. They show well too but don't have much competition and they usually get beat out by a sumatra or a cornish bantam! But I've done well with mine. I'll have F1 TK Poultry Bantam Ameraucanas next year when I start breeding! They are good for starters as well. i was a bit overwhelmed by breeds like cochins and silkies but Ameraucanas are easy and friendly and have with stood my learning! Great breed I highly recommend them!

FYI each color has a different backround because of the out crosses I have found the wheatens are calmer than the BBS. I have found the BBS are a bit on the bitey mean side but nothing bad!

Back
Top Bottom