Bantam behavior

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ausash, Jul 8, 2007.

1. ausash

ausash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    I just bought three bantams today and I have never owned anything but standards and I was wondering if anybody could tell me anything about their temperments. I have one white cochin, one silver and black polish/oegb and one black oegb, they are all pullets. I didn't realize till I got home that they were oegb's or I might have gotten all cochins. Any help at all would be great. I have these girls in with my pullets that are of the same age and so far they seem to be getting along great (of course the cochin is a lot smaller than everyone else but she is 1 month younger than they are).

Thanks,
    Michelle

2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    well, usually bantams are sweet.

-alex

3. SunnySideUp

SunnySideUp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    We have a banty Buff Cochin, she's really good natured and does fine with the standards. She's had to learn to assert herself with being vertically challenged and all, but gets along just fine! Good luck to you.

4. Chickenlover88

Chickenlover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    In my opinion old english game bantams are the best breed ever. Mine are very gentle and sweet. Why would you have taken them back? Every oegb I have had has been very sweet although I have had some mean cochin roos.

5. ausash

ausash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    I just wasn't sure if they would be too flightly and nervous. But I have just learned today from the gentleman that I bought them from that he strongly believes that they do not have any oegb, japanese, or sebright in them and that one of them has some polish and not sure what else and the other he believes is a rose comb mix. All I know is that right now they seem really nervous but could be because they are in a new environment. I have a post in the gender/breed section that has their pictures on it if anyone is interested or might have a clue what is in them. The smaller of the two black ones looks like a silver rose comb.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Not really...bantams for the most part act like their full sized versions...
    Penny's the only banty I've ever had and she does hold her own when Obelisk is being mean to her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by