1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bantam breed help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by guppy guy, Mar 16, 2015.

1. guppy guy

guppy guy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2014
    so at my local tractor suply co. they have bantam breeds but its a big mike of breeds. [​IMG]. do you know a good site that would have a chart of all the breeds with pictures of the chicks. what are some good breeds to get that will be docile, child safe, and the rosters would be fine with us picking him or one of his girls up and wont attack us. we have small children

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens Feathersite has pictures of the chicks of a bunch of breeds that might help you figure out what is there. If you know the hatchery they came from (your TSC should be able to tell you) you can narrow down the possibilities. The most popular breeds for pets for kids are probably Silkies and Cochins, the Silkies should be pretty easy to tell as chicks, they should be black skinned, have feathered legs, have five toes and a small topknot... the Cochins should also have feathered legs, another common bantam popular as a pet is the d'Uccle that would also have feathered legs and have cheek puffs.
    If you have small kids, most people recommend not keeping roosters (you really only need one if you plan on breeding), even small roosters can be dangerous with little kids. In general, Silkie and Cochin roosters are pretty nice though.

3. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Follow this advice :).

4. guppy guy

Dec 5, 2014
    if i were to get a roster cochin how many girls could i have as a minimum.
    if i were to get a roster silkie how many girls would i need as a minimum.

which ones are better breeders would i have to isolate the female from the others when they have eggs?

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    If would check out mypetchicken.com or cacklehatchery.com, those are good hatchery sites that will give you the information you need.

6. guppy guy

Dec 5, 2014
    what about the MILLE FLEUR BANTAM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by