Bantam breed thoughts???

masked malitia

Chirping
Apr 22, 2015
Wisconsin
My thoughts were maybe porcelain D E'Ullce or Butterscotch booted bantams but still new to this.
1st Bird

2nd Bird

They both look like Butterscotch Booted Bantams; the first looks like a cockerel, second is a pullet. 

Thank you now if I may bother you all with two more annoying questions. My daughter is in 4H and would like to show some birds is this a breed that can be shown? Also do these two look to have what it may take? I know it is early for the second question but thought I might as well ask.

Thank you now if I may bother you all with two more annoying questions. My daughter is in 4H and would like to show some birds is this a breed that can be shown? Also do these two look to have what it may take? I know it is early for the second question but thought I might as well ask.
Don't worry about asking questions! Everyone here loves to answer! Luckily, I am also in 4-H, and yes, that breed is accepted by APA and can be shown in the fair, and so far, yours look show quality (of course, it's teh experience that counts). I don't know how your show works, but in mine, bantams can be shown in a breeding pen, but that has to be 2 pullets and 1 cockerel.

Both do appear to be Butterscotch Booted Bantams. However, they aren't necessarily great choices for showing. The booted bantam is a recognized breed by the American Poultry Association (APA), but the variety Butterscotch is not yet in the Standard of Perfection. You could show them at both fairs and open shows and not get disqualified, but they wouldn't be able to go any further than maybe a 1st place ribbon or Best of Variety (BV).

Of course, many 4-H fairs and smaller shows don't follow APA rules exactly, so it is possible that they would be judged differently than I mentioned above. Also, since 4-H shows are meant primarily to be fun learning experiences, winning isn't everything. Poultry shows can be very enjoyable no matter how well your birds do, and I would definitely not want to discourage your daughter from showing. If she really wants to be competitive, though, it would be a good idea to purchase APA-accepted, show quality birds from a breeder.

Good luck with your chickens, and your daughter's future showing!

Both do appear to be Butterscotch Booted Bantams. However, they aren't necessarily great choices for showing. The booted bantam is a recognized breed by the American Poultry Association (APA), but the variety Butterscotch is not yet in the Standard of Perfection. You could show them at both fairs and open shows and not get disqualified, but they wouldn't be able to go any further than maybe a 1st place ribbon or Best of Variety (BV).

Of course, many 4-H fairs and smaller shows don't follow APA rules exactly, so it is possible that they would be judged differently than I mentioned above. Also, since 4-H shows are meant primarily to be fun learning experiences, winning isn't everything. Poultry shows can be very enjoyable no matter how well your birds do, and I would definitely not want to discourage your daughter from showing. If she really wants to be competitive, though, it would be a good idea to purchase APA-accepted, show quality birds from a breeder.

Good luck with your chickens, and your daughter's future showing!
I agree. I forgot that Butterscotch is not an accepted variety. But yes, fairs do not usually go by APA, as you can show Sex-Links.

Back
Top Bottom