Bantam care

JudgeChunk

Chirping
Dec 27, 2020
I've adopted/rescued what I think is a Japanese mottled bantam. I'm currently in the process of adding 2 more to have a small flock.

This girl which I've named Dipp, was found in a petshop sitting in a wire cage. She appears to have lifted foot scales, her poops are solid but come with excess water, her comb and wattles are kinda pale.

I have her quarantined indoors until I know she is ready to be kept inside. She eats a variety of foods. Including fruits and veggies. (Cucumbers, watermelon, cabbage, raddish, blueberries and what not.) Her daily diet is Encore Layered Booster, I supplement it with regular bird seed treats, Kaytee scratch plus and ground corn mixture. I add a drop or two of Apple cider vinegar every 3 days and garlic once a week to her meal.

Am I doing too much or too little? Is there something I should have or buy? I'm very new to chicken keeping and there is so much info out there.

Attachments

• 20210109_134624.jpg
    20210109_134624.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210109_134609.jpg
    20210109_134609.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210109_134547.jpg
    20210109_134547.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210106_102930.jpg
    20210106_102930.jpg
    754.1 KB · Views: 4
I should mention she's not currently or has ever laid an egg with me. I also clipped her nails because they were severely overgrown and her toes were going sideways.

@JudgeChunk

I am also newer to chickens, but just must say your little "Dipp" is a beautiful girl. It seems you are doing a lot of wonderful things to care for her :love

Was it hard to clip her toe nails?

I've adopted/rescued what I think is a Japanese mottled bantam. I'm currently in the process of adding 2 more to have a small flock.

This girl which I've named Dipp, was found in a petshop sitting in a wire cage. She appears to have lifted foot scales, her poops are solid but come with excess water, her comb and wattles are kinda pale.

I have her quarantined indoors until I know she is ready to be kept inside. She eats a variety of foods. Including fruits and veggies. (Cucumbers, watermelon, cabbage, raddish, blueberries and what not.) Her daily diet is Encore Layered Booster, I supplement it with regular bird seed treats, Kaytee scratch plus and ground corn mixture. I add a drop or two of Apple cider vinegar every 3 days and garlic once a week to her meal.

Am I doing too much or too little? Is there something I should have or buy? I'm very new to chicken keeping and there is so much info out there.
Lifted scales on her legs and toes probably mean scale lice... tiny buggers too tiny to see...

Treat those... with only one bird it shouldn't be too hard.

Use nice warm water and a soft toothbrush, gently clean the scales.

Then dry them well... then rub into her legs and feet anything that will smother the lice. So Vaseline, coconut oil might work, I used babybottom cream.

Keep repeating every few days... as it starts to wear off.. I found I had to keep it up for 3 weeks before the legs were cured.

As to her face color... looks good to me.. in the winter the comb etc tend to be a bit smaller and more pale.

Lifted scales on her legs and toes probably mean scale lice... tiny buggers too tiny to see...

Treat those... with only one bird it shouldn't be too hard.

Use nice warm water and a soft toothbrush, gently clean the scales.

Then dry them well... then rub into her legs and feet anything that will smother the lice. So Vaseline, coconut oil might work, I used babybottom cream.

Keep repeating every few days... as it starts to wear off.. I found I had to keep it up for 3 weeks before the legs were cured.

As to her face color... looks good to me.. in the winter the comb etc tend to be a bit smaller and more pale.

Thank you! I've been treating her gradually for the scale lice and finishing it up with A+D ointment. She seems a lot more mobile now than she was originally.

I think you’re doing well! The only thing she needs is a feathered friend- as you mentioned.
Also (and this is a debate for you to read up in) Apple cider vinegar is unnecessary. CUE THE HYSTERICS 🤣

I think you’re doing well! The only thing she needs is a feathered friend- as you mentioned.
Also (and this is a debate for you to read up in) Apple cider vinegar is unnecessary. CUE THE HYSTERICS 🤣

You know I was reading about that. There are so many mixed messages online on whether to use this or that. I only took away that it provides benefits without always being needed. I figured it wouldn't hurt to give her the little extra help with life while she adjusts. Since I didn't want to go straight into chemicals and other such vitamins right away.

Back
Top Bottom