Bantam chick prolapse? Help please

Catharinejo

Chirping
Jun 28, 2019
NE Kansas, USA
Bantam chick hatched yesterday and o took it out of the incubator today. It has a red blob since I don’t know the exact term that is getting bigger. I was told it looks like it hatched too early. Is there anything I can do? It is walking around and acting alert but the getting worse part is what really worries me. I know it might not make it but I will try to help or if there is anything I can do.
top picture is right now
EA05936D-89EC-42A4-85A8-12C144993D8C.jpeg

Bottom picture is from this morning when I first noticed the problem
5AF11B37-ADF6-4D6D-8B1C-36F9CAFDCCAB.jpeg

We only had 2/10 eggs hatch and the other chick died this morning after acting really lethargic. We are having some rotten luck.

Oh dear! :hugs How is the chick?
Looks like the navel did not close. If the contents are pushing out even more, I'm really not sure if the chick will make it. I would keep that tissue moist (don't let that dry out), apply triple antibiotic ointment or bacitracin. I would put the chick in a cup lined with paper towels to help keep clean and of course keep her warm. You can try pushing the exposed tissue back in, but only after cleaning well - if you have it rinse with chlorhexidine. Apply your ointment, then push in. That is the chick's "innard" pushing out, so infection is a possibility.
@Granny Hatchet or @Pyxis can you chime in here?
1591472435922.png

Oh dear! :hugs How is the chick?
Looks like the navel did not close. If the contents are pushing out even more, I'm really not sure if the chick will make it. I would keep that tissue moist (don't let that dry out), apply triple antibiotic ointment or bacitracin. I would put the chick in a cup lined with paper towels to help keep clean and of course keep her warm. You can try pushing the exposed tissue back in, but only after cleaning well - if you have it rinse with chlorhexidine. Apply your ointment, then push in. That is the chick's "innard" pushing out, so infection is a possibility.
@Granny Hatchet or @Pyxis can you chime in here?
View attachment 2180049
It is still acting alert and moving around normally but the contents have come out even more. 😭

I have heard of a couple people having luck using q tips and antibiotic ointment to push that back in then you need something to keep it closed like a small piece of tape or superglue maybe but honestly I culled mine when they are like that. Rotten luck sorry

I’m trying to get up the nerve to make that decision. Apparently I didn’t have the humid high enough in the incubator even though I thought I followed the directions.

QUOTE="Granny Hatchet, post: 22727973, member: 240746"]
I have heard of a couple people having luck using q tips and antibiotic ointment to push that back in then you need something to keep it closed like a small piece of tape or superglue maybe but honestly I culled mine when they are like that. Rotten luck sorry
[/QUOTE]

Since the innards were coming out more and more I put it to sleep. :(
Thank you for your help. If I had asked here earlier in the day when it was only out a little it maybe could have been saved but by the time I posted I think it was already too late.
So sorry this happened to you :( You did do the kind thing though by putting the chick to sleep. I have been finding it helps to know that if this happens again (hopefully not) you’ll know what to do to potentially save that next chick. Unfortunately we are not vets and are learning as we go. Hugs to you:hugs

Back
Top Bottom