Bantam Chicks of Multiple Ages Brooding Together

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
I have 10 bantam chicks brooding together. 5 of them are 3 weeks old and 5 of them are 2 weeks old. I am getting 4 bantam chicks today (my local requirement is an amount of 4) to put under my broody 7.5 month silkie. If she doesn't accept them, is it safe to add them with my other chicks? Also, is 4 too many for my silkies first time?
@chrissynemetz

Last edited:
I wouldn't personally add very young chicks to any that are over a week. Temperature requirements are different, and very young chicks can get overwhelmed by bigger more boisterous chicks. Hopefully your broody takes them.

I wouldn't personally add very young chicks to any that are over a week. Temperature requirements are different, and very young chicks can get overwhelmed by bigger more boisterous chicks. Hopefully your broody takes them.

Thank you for your time and reply. I should have added that it will be Bantams that I get today and the 10 I have are also Bantams. With that said, they're more delicate, so what you're saying probably rings even more true. Maybe I should just break her. I'll have to build something as my small cages are all plastic or solid bottoms

Most silkies are great mothers and will take anything. Bantams can be a bit more gentle, so perhaps you won't see the same problems as you would with standard chicks Only you can observe, and tell what's working and what isn't.

Back
Top Bottom