Bantam Cochin Project finally going to happen!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NottinghamChicks, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Finally! It took me a while to find some really great quality Bantam Cochins that were already started but I did it. [​IMG] I have some great breeding stock coming from both Judy Ganntt and Jamie Matts and will be able to start on my new venture this summer. I will be breeding black to black, and black to splash. I am so excited as it ws allot of work to find a splash that was already started close by me, I think they are all kept out West, hahaha.

This hopefully will be a good experience for me as I have never tried breeding before, but I think having such great quality it my first hurdle. I will not be incubating but letting the broodys do their job. Hopefully I can do well on this venture and I welcome any comments or advice for a first timer [​IMG]

I am starting with converting my grain shed into a 4.5'X4.5' cochin coop and adding a secure run for some outdoor space. My other coop has a perch 14 inches from the coop floor and wonder what is best for Bantam Cochins.I keep the chickens (coop floor)at waist level and use underneath for storage which I think works well as I never have to walk on poo. Do I need to section off a smaller area within the coop to keep the broody alone? There is one Rooster and three hens and wonder how this is going to play out.

Also wonder about dimensions for their nests and if their should be a lip if there are going to be little chicks in and out of it. Any and all info and experience is welcome [​IMG]

~Julie

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Congrats on your start. I am still new at this as well but you were right to obtain the best stock you could get. Get ready for set backs though, they happen and you just have to deal with them. Make the best of friends with breeders for advise on any issues should they arise and I would put away for a good incubator as the hens may not always be agreeable to hatch for you. I am sure more experienced breeders will come in with more suggestions.

Good Luck in your endeavors.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Duplicate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by