Bantam Cochin without feathered feet?

Abby4501

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 11, 2014
I bought some fertile Bantam Cochin eggs from a lady,mans let my broody set on them. They hatched yesterday and only one has feathered feet? There were only 3 in the hatch total. But any idea why the other two don't have feathered feet? Are they not really bantam Cochin? I read that some hatchery chicks don't have the feathered feet due to breeding out, but these are not hatchery. :/

Also just noticing, the feather foot has extra toes and black skin. There is a frizzle gene in her flock too, could this baby be a frizzle?

Here are some pics, the little black one has the feathered feet.

Last edited:
They're mixed.

the last chick has some silkie ancestry, with the five toes and you can see the funky walnut/mix comb there. Cochins have straight combs.

Feathered legs are dominant, or partially dominant. Breeding feathered leg to clean legs gives lightly feathered legs. To get completely clean legs, neither parent is pure for feathered legs.

the white chick is totally clean legged. The second is lightly feathered, so could be a mix. The last one looks to have silkie, could be a silkie x cochin.

yes, agree with the silkie in there! I contacted the lady I got the eggs from and she did say there was a silkie hen and silkie mix roo in the flock.
thanks for the info on the feathered leg gene, didn't know that! I'm pretty new to this chicken stuff, but I'm already addicted to them
1f917.png

now, it's not a good idea to let mixed hens/Roos breed, correct? I read that somewhere..but didn't know

Letting mixed breed birds breed is totally up to you.

Some folks like pure bred birds. They like the consistency, and knowing what to expect from the offspring.

Myself, I guess I like living on the edge (chicken-wise, at least
wink.png
). I love my mixed breed birds. I like having birds that don't look just like everyone else's, and when I set eggs I never know what's going to hatch.

I hatched out a bunch of silkie/bantam Cochin crosses this spring, and they're pretty darn cute little things. I've mixed and matched a variety of hatchery breeds, and bred mixes a few generations down. They're for my flock, and I do sell them from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom